Re: How to Digi via Mir

> Cedrick Johnson, K9YXO asked:

> I missed the previous posting about how to digipeat your info thru
> R0MIR by using UNPROTO..  Can someone please repost?

Using UNPROTO is simply NOT CONNECTING to anyone, but going straight to
CONVERSE mode.  THen anything you type is transmitted as a UI packet.
Here are some guidelines to use:

1)  Put CQ or APRS in your UNPROTO like this:   UNPROTO APRS VIA R0MIR

2)  Run QRP 5 watts or less.  You can hit MIR with 1/4 watt.  By
running low power, you wont interferre with the VIP stations that may need
access to the MIR BBS.  But you will get through JUST FINE if the
channel is clear at the instant you transmit.  Be courteous.  If channel
is real busy or BBS is in use, then hold off.

3)  SInce many people are using the Kenwood HT with no PC attached, it is
a a good idea to send your packet in one of the APRS formats so those
users can see you.  Here are the two easiest formats:

    POSITION/STATUS:   Send this:     !DDMM.mmN/DDDMM.mmW-status
                       where  DDMM.mmN is latitude
                             DDDMM.mmW is longitude
                       Status is any 20 additional characters

    BULLETIN:          Send this:     :BLN#.....:Here is your text
                       Where you begin with  :BLN#xxxxx:
                       where # is a sequential number
                       and then any 5 more characters and a colon ":"
                       Then the rest of your bulletin (one line up to
                       45 chars)

Notice, that a BEACON TEXT is also a UI packet.  You might put your
POSIT and STATUS in there and just let the TNC send it say once a minute.

I might use BTEXT !3859.11N/07629.11W-Bob at Naval Academy

STOP SENDING once you see your packet digipeated by MIR.  Everyone else
will have seen it too, so there is no need to repeat it.  This LAT/LONG
format is much simpler than the compressed Mic-E format I posted earlier.
The Mic-E advantage is that it is at least 10 bytes shorter.

de WB4APR, Bob