Re: Packet VIA MIR while backpacking in Denali - Alaska?

Ritz asked about how to configure for MIR digipeating while Backpacking in
Alaska:

The simplest answer to all your questions is to download and run APRSdos,
to get a feel for what is going on, so you can see how others will see
you.    ftp from tapr.org in the following directory:

aprssig/dosstuff/APRSdos

Get the latest APRSxxx.zip file (currently 840) and also the maps for the
pacific northwest NWmapsxx.zip.  Be sure to unzip them using PKUNZIP -d to
get the right directory structure..

> Using the AMSAT grid locator, I believe I will be in BP53mq.

Grids in that area are about 3.3 miles tall by about 2.7 m wide.  For
backpacking, then probably better to use exact LAT/LONG.

> How do I send a "UI" packet? ... Is this just as simple as operating in
> "converse" mode, so everything I type gets sent out, while at the same
> time I can see everyone else due to my monitoring...?

YES!

> I did set  UNPROTO BP53MQ VIA R0MIR
> And BT ][[Backpacking Denali Alaska.  Pse QSL ritz()wsu.edu
> I also am set to beacon a couple times a minute.
> So if I understood correctly, that should be it.  Folks using APRS should be
> able to track me.

Yes!  But, actually, others with the Kenwood HT will not see you, since
it does not decode the GRID Square in the UNPROTO, so maybe
we should use the LAT/LONG format instead..  Here it is:

UNPROTO APTERM VIA R0MIR

BT =DDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhW[comments go here

THe number of digits in the LAT/LONG must be exact.  Everything after the
"[" which is your backpacking ICON is free for you to use...  The UNPROTO
TO call of APTERM tells everyone you are using no APRS software but are
just using a dumb terminal.

> But is there anywhere I can directly view a gridsquare map?

Run APRSdos and everywhere your cursor goes, you can see the GRID SQ...

Hope to see you on the map!
de WB4APR, Bob