Re: Packet VIA MIR while backpacking in Denali - Alaska?

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, ritz wrote about using MIR as a digipeater while
backpacking in Alsaska:

> I don't own a GPS unit... but i'm not against the idea.

Dont need one.  Just plot in advance the 6 digit grid squares where you
will be, and always put that gridsquare in the TOCALL of your UNPROTO
path.  Then always put the cheracters ]][ at the start of your BText.
This will cause you to show up on all APRS maps as a HIKER at that exact
grid square.  This only locates you to the nearest mile or so, but is
sufficient.  You could type in the full LAT/LONG, but then that takes far
more characters.

So, you would enter your UNPROTO as follows:

   UNPROTO BP80SR VIA R0MIR      (or whatever is your current 6 digit GS)

Next enter your BText as:

   BT ][[Backpacking!  Pse QSL ritz@eecs.wsu.edu

Then set your BEACON to EVERY 20 seconds

Now, each time you see your packet digipeated, then you can also manually
TYPE individual UI frames to anyone that responds.  In this case, it is
still a good idea to include ][[ as the first 3 bytes of every packet you
type.  Actually the format is ]$[ where $ is any one of the 96 primary
APRS ICONs or symbols.  But the symbol for a hiker is "[", so thus you
always begin each packet with ][[.  This tells all APRS users what ICON
you are to be plotted with and also it tells APRS that your position is in
the TOCALL!

Once you have set up camp, you can change your ICON to the TENT symbol
which is a ";".  THus you would begin each packet with ];[...

 > I've also had a suggestion to get a beam and work AO-27

Lots more to carry.  I find that I can hit MIR with a rubber duck and 5
watts easily... for packet...