Re: "Bad News"

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Jose Mihotek wrote about the MIR packet system:

> ...it is very boring to hear uninteligeable audio blips that repeat
> themselves over and over. And from what I hear it is a very inefficient
> system since only one contact can be handled at a time...

Actually, many stations get to use it per pass.  You can see all the
stations using any TNC or you can see a summary of every pass on the Naval
Academy live MIREX web page: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/mirex.html

Also, the MIR digipeater can relay student/school or emergency message
packets (UI frames) from simple handheld stations using the new Kenwood HT
with built in TNC...  Thus, if you are hiking in the wilderness, you can
get a message out from your shirt pocket at least 6 times a day via the
MIR packet digipeater...

It is actually quite handy...  de WB4APR, Bob
(yes, I like to see the SSTV too...)