Mir June 1, 1999, SSTV Stat

Mir Amateur Radio Status: June 1, 1999

By Miles Mann WF1F,

SSTV Update from Mir crew:
Over  the  weekend MAREX-NA engineers Farrell Winder , Don Miller and Miles Mann
were  able  to  upload  3  SSTV images to the Mir crew.  Miles, Don and Farrell,
coordinated their efforts on 20 meter H.F. to synchronize the upload sequence of
the  SSTV  images.   This maximized our contact time with the Mir crew, who were
expecting our SSTV schedule.
Don  and Farrell each SSTV images of the Shuttle ISS mission, which is currently
taking place.
I  think  this  is the first time an Active NASA mission images were sent to Mir
via SSTV in almost
real-time.  Cosmonauts  Jean-Pierre  Heignere  and Cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev took
turns  sending  new  images  of  them  selves  back  to the hundreds of stations
monitoring the frequency (145.985 MHz).
Jean-Pierre  and  Sergei  thought  it  was very interesting to see the semi-live
images of the International Space Station being built.
Next it was my turn,  I sent an images, that I had been saving for several
weeks. A fellow ham from France ( Gerard F6FA0) had sent me a picture of
Jean-Pierre's wife, while she was visiting Russia.  I converted the images to be
compatible with SSTV and then sent it directly to Mir.
Jean-Pierre was very pleased when he saw the image of his wife slowly appeared
on the MAREX-NA SSTV system screen.
His first comments were, Where did you get this, and how can I save the image.
I explained to Jean-Pierre where the image came from and then gave him the news
that this prototype version of SSTV on Mir does not have the ability to save
images.
MAREX-NA is currently working hard on an upgrade, which may allow the SSTV
system
to send stored images and received new images and store them (that work is still
pending).
We had planed this feature for ISS, but are attempting to move up the schedule
to test the hardware on Mir before the MAREX-NA SSTV ISS project is completed.

The Mir crew then began to send Random images of the Interior of the Mir
Priorida module and some out-side shots.  We even got a few shots of Jean-Pierre
playing his Saxophone.

We did have a few problems with the SSTV system.  It seems the camera portion
keeps
loosing signal or power.  A few times over the weekend, the image went black or
Null and
began to send a black image with many random noise bursts.  We are studying this
problem.

I  would  like  to  ask  everyone  to  please be patient regarding Amateur Radio
operations  on  Mir.   The  Amateur  Radio  portion  of  the Mir experiments are
primarily OFF-Hours experiments.  The Mir crews do have a very busy schedule and
only  have  a  very  limited  amount of FREE-Time to use the educational Amateur
Radio experiments.

SSTV hardware location:
In  my  March issues of Mir news, I stated that we thought he crew had moved the
PMS  and SSTV from the Priroda module to the Mir-Core module.  The crew informed
me  Saturday that he PMS and SSTV are still located in the Priroda module.  I am
sorry for any confusion on this issue.
The PMS and SSTV projects in the Priroda Module only have access to the  2-meter
band, via a series if filters and duplexors.  I still expect all operations,
SSTV and Packet to stay on 145.985 FM simplex, until we are able to run both
projects simultaneously.  Because of the antenna and power limitations (only
enough power to run one project at a time), there is no reason to use the 70cm
band at this time, nor do we have access to 70cm at this time.

MAREX-NA ISS projects:
At  the present time the MAREX-NA SSTV International Space Station project is in
the  proposal  /  consideration  stage.   If the project is selected, we hope to
deliver  the  final systems by the end of the year.  The project will be a joint
project  involving several satellite clubs.  Each club will be responsible for a
different part of the project (antennas, power supplies, etc.).

Last  year  MAREX-NA  delivered  three  Kenwood/Tasco SSTV systems to Energia in
Russia.   One of the systems is currently on the Russian Space Station Mir.  The
other   two  SSTV  systems  are  in  Energia  Russia  and  are  being  used  for
Demonstrations  and testing system.  A demonstration of the MAREX-NA SSTV system
was  given to the First cosmonaut ISS crew.  The comments from the cosmonaut ISS
crew were (I want this on my mission).

Current Mir Crew Members:
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz TM-29 crew consisted
of  French  cosmonaut  Jean-Pierre  Heignere,  Viktor  Afanasyev  and  Slovakian
Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys  mission  lasted  approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 ? February 28
1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev (aprox 6 months)
Cosmonaut  Sergei  Avdeyev.   Sergei mission began August 16, and is expected to
last a total of 12 months.

The next Mir crew will be departing earth in August 1999
I do not have all of the full names at this time.

PMS Status (Personal Message System):
The PMS activity was a little intermittent last week.

MAREX-NA Web Page:
The MAREX-NA web page is temporally off line due to a server move.
I will send out a new memo, when its back.
For  more  information  about MAREX-NA and out past, present and future project,
please visit
our new home page:
www.marex-na.org

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright  1999  Miles  Mann,  All Rights Reserved.  This document may be freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers), Usenet, and
World-Wide-Web.   It may not be reproduced for profit including, but not limited
to,  CD  ROMs,  books,  and/or  other  commercial  outlets without prior written
consent from the author.
Images  received  from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station Mir
are  considered  public  domain  and  may  be  freely distributed, without prior
permission.

Miles WF1F