Mir Status May 27, 1999 Tracking Shuttle

Mir Amateur Radio Status: May 28, 1999

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Hi Every one:
Sorry its been a while, family stuff, etc.

The best way to track the shuttle during DOCKING missions, is to Track the Space
Station  and  not  the  Shuttle.   The Shuttle takes two days to reach the Space
Station.   During  its  two  day  flight, the shuttle will be firing its engines
frequently.  This will cause your Shuttle tracking Kep data to be inaccurate, if
the  data  is  more than a few hours old.  Since the Space station is relatively
stable, you will be able to more accurately track the Space Station.

ISS
1 25544U 98067A   99126.89496633  .00020579  00000-0  24856-3 0  5521
2 25544  51.5940  45.8702 0005179  74.1484 286.0071 15.60689634 26158

SSTV Update from Mir crew:
Mir  SSTV  has been very sporadic because of the Single power supply issue.  The
crew  must  move  power  wires  between  the  SSTV  project and the PMS project.
MAREX-NA  is  currently working on a FIX for this problem and we hope to have it
completed and ready for launch soon.

Current Mir Crew Members:
The current Mir crew consists of :
French  cosmonaut  Jean-Pierre  Heignere,  Viktor Afanasyev and Cosmonaut Sergei
Avdeyev

Cosmonaut  Sergei Avdeyev arrived  on Mir via Soyuz TM-28.  Sergei mission began
August 16 1998, and is expected to last  until August 1999.
French  cosmonaut  Jean-Pierre  Heignere,  Viktor  Afanasyev  arrived on Mir via
Soyuze  TM-29  in  February  20,  1999.  Their mission is expected to last until
August 1999.

The next Mir crew is expected to arrive at the Mir Space Station in August 1999.
One of the crew members will be Alexander Kaleri.  I had the opportunity to meet
Alexander Kaleri last summer when I trained several of the cosmonauts on the use
and installation of the MAREX-NA SSTV system.

MAREX-NA Web Page:
The MAREX-NA web page is temporally off line due to a server move.
I will send out a new memo, when its back.
For  more  information  about MAREX-NA and out past, present and future project,
please visit
our new home page:
www.marex-na.org

Tracking Mir:
For current tracking data, try the CelesTrak web page at http://celestrak.com/

Copyright  1999  Miles  Mann,  All Rights Reserved.  This document may be freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers), Usenet, and
World-Wide-Web.   It may not be reproduced for profit including, but not limited
to,  CD  ROMs,  books,  and/or  other  commercial  outlets without prior written
consent from the author.
Images  received  from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station Mir
are  considered  public  domain  and  may  be  freely distributed, without prior
permission.

Miles WF1F