Mir ARS Status March 29, 1999, Voice

Mir Amateur Radio Status:  March 29, 1998

by Miles Mann WF1F,

Mir's Random Radio Schedule:
As most of you know the MAREX-NA SSTV system has not been active for the
past three weekends.  I am not aware of any specific problems.  I contacted
MAREX-RU at Energia in Korolev last week to discuss the issues (MAREX-NA
has a weekly telecom with MAREX-RU regarding many MIR and ISS amateur radio
space topics).  I was informed the MAREX-RU team is currently spending all
of their efforts in preparing the AMSAT-France RS-19 satellite for launch
in April.  Members of the Energia MAREX-RU team are going to Balkanor
Russian to install the RS-19 project this week.  The Energia MAREX-RU team
would not have time to run Mir School schedules or discuss SSTV plans with
the Mir crew until they return from the launch site. (The MAREX-NA schools
scheduled for March were rescheduled for May)

The Mir crew is in the process of moving the Personal Message System (PMS)
and the MAREX-NA SSTV Amateur Radio equipment from the Priroda Module to
the Mir-Core or Base-Block module.  It appears the PMS has completed the
move and is back on line.  The PMS is physically much smaller than the SSTV
unit, which makes it easier to find a good Non-Grounded mounting location.
The metal case of the PMS modem and the Power supply, can not touch the
metal walls or frames of the Space Station.  The walls and frames are at a
different ground potential, and if they touch the wrong hardware, you can
get a high current ground loop.  A ground Loop knocked out one Amateur
Radio power supplies on Mir about 5 years ago.
The SSTV unit requires more room and it may take the crew a little time to
find a good mounting location for its installation.

This move will give the crew better access to the Amateur Radio equipment.
And it will give us access to the Mir-Core Antenna.  The Mir-Core antenna
is a Larsen-Dual band mobile antenna, mounted out side of Mir.  The dual
band antenna will give us access to 2-meters and 70 cm.
In the Priroda module, we only had access to the 2-meter antenna.  The
Priroda Module 2-meter access limitations and the power supply limitations
caused a little confusion to the a few hams, who did not understand the
hardware limitations of the project.  I still expect all operations, SSTV
and Packet to stay on 145.985 FM simplex, until we are able to run both
projects simultaneously.  Since we only have enough power to run one
project at a time, there is no
reason to use the 70cm band at this time.

The Mir Core module is where the crew spends most of their time, this means
there will be more opportunity to see and hear the Mir crew from the new
location.
During the move, we can expect some down time for the Amateur Radio
Station. I would like to ask everyone to please be patient.  I will publish
new information as it arrives.

Feed back from the public
>From Eric:
I don't think we have any right to complain if one mode or another is not
there
when we want it to be, it is simply the luck of the draw. What's there is
there
so be happy with that.

73....Eric VK2KUR

Thank you for your comments Eric.

How to Work the Crew on Voice:
The Mir crew has been given instructions on how to work the crowds on
phone/voice links.  However the Mir crew members are NOT Contesters and
they are not know how to handling large groups of people calling them at
the same time. You will need to be very patient and listen.
If you follow a few very simple procedures you can not only increase your
chance for success, you can also increase the chances of the crew being
more active on Voice.

1.   The Mir crew has been asked to use the term CQ when they are finished
with the contacts.
2.   They have been requested to use call signs frequently in the exchange
example:       AA10AAA FROM R0MIR, HELLO…….
          AA10AAA, THANK YOU FOR THE CALL 73, R0MIR CQ

The Mir crew reserves the right to use any format they wish when using
voice.

Here is what you can do to make it easier for the Mir crew.
1.   Listen, do not transmit until you hear the crew say CQ.
2.   When you hear CQ, say your call sign twice and nothing else.
Correct Example:   AA10AAA  AA10AAA
Bad Example: AA10AAA hi this is Joe from Boston Mass calling Mir , do you
hear me.

Keep your transmission short and simple.  After Mir has acknowledged your
call sign, then you may continue.  Suggested format:
AA10AAA R0MIR, Hello Sergej, how is your Mission this week OVER.

The word OVER is a little out dated, but it does help the Mir crew tell
when you have completed your transmission.  Since Mir has a Radio-Range of
1500 miles (2000 kilometers), it is possible that part of your transmission
may be stepped on.  However, if we all follow these simple steps, it will
be easier for the Mir crew and they may be more inclined to be active on
Voice.

Good luck and lets have some fun.

RS-19 Ready for Launch:
RS-19 is another in the line of successful mini sputnik type satellites.

Sputnik RS-19 is on its way to Balkanor to be installed in the next
Progress cargo ship.
The tentative date for the Progress launch is April 2,1999.
I do not have a confirmed date for the hand launching of the RS-19 sputnik
from Mir at this time.

The new Sputnik can be heard on 145.812/815 (Adjust for Doppler).  Listen
closely and you will hear the up to 10 messages, repeated in multiple
different languages.
I was informed that each message will be 7 seconds long, with a 7 second
pause.
There is the ability to change the message every 24 hours.

Anyone with a simple 2-meter receiver or scanner should be able to hear the
voice recordings
being played by Sputnik.

For more information about this project, please check out the Amsat-France
Web page and
follow the links to the Sputnik
http://www.ccr.jussieu.fr/physio/f6bvp/

Reminder, RS-19 has not been launched at this time.

Mir QSL Information:
Please use one of the following QSL managers and follow the directions for
that Manager.

This address is for the SWL cards for the Sputnik RS-19 Amsat-France
project.
AMSAT-F
QSL manager RS18
14 bis rue des Gourlis
92 500 Rueil-Malmaison
 France

Send an self address envelope and 1 IRC.
The size should be at least 10.5 x 15 cm.

All Mir contacts, SWL, Two-way voice or Packet connections (R0MIR),
including
the new Sputnik Satellite RS-19

Envelopes should be well sealed and do not include cash.
Send a SAE (Self Addressed Envelope ) and one or two IRC coupons
(which can be purchased at major US post offices).
Do not make any notes on the out side of the envelope with Amateur Radio
Call signs visible.

QSL Information for SWL (Short Wave Listener)
Sergej Samburov
PO Box 73
Korolev-10 City
Moscow Area, 141070, Russia

For Two-way contacts with Mir ONLY.  Just for the call sign R0MIR and
R0MIR-1
No SWL (Short Wave Listener) cards will be issued at this address.

Dr. Dave Larsen - N6CO/K6MIR
PO Box 311
Pine Grove, California
95665
USA

Please include a SASE (Business Size Envelope) and one IRC > for
international.
If you are sending a IRC , please make sure it is dated 1998 , as my post
office will not accept IRC dated over 1 yr. old.
Note: Dave Larsen MIREX / N6CO is not handling SWL cards for Sputnik,
please use the other addresses

*****************

New Mir Crew Members:
The current crew consists of:

Current Crew
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz TM-29 crew
consisted of French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere, Viktor Afanasyev  and
Slovakian Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys mission lasted approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 – February
28 1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev
Cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev.  Sergei mission began August 16, and is expected
to last a total of 9-11 months.

This will make the Mir crew 27 a three man crew. Energia informed me that
the French Cosmonaut Jean-Pierre did receive training on the MAREX-NA SSTV
project, and he has already sent a few SSTV images of him self and the rest
of the Mir crew.

Current Schedule for Packet PMS and SSTV:
No activity last weekend due to the hardware move.

The crew will do their best to keep the SSTV system active on weekends and
packet PMS operational on weekdays.

Tracking Mir

The best way to track satellites is to get access to a good satellite
tracking program.
There are numerous programs on the market, both for sale and share ware.

The best place for current satellite position date (Kep’) data is at the
CelesTrak web page http://celestrak.com/

Copyright 1999 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers),
Usenet, and WorldWideWeb.  It may not be reproduced for profit including,
but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without
prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station
Mir
are considered public domain and may be freely distributed, without prior
permission.

Miles WF1F