Re: Mir ARS Status March 17, 1999, Hardware Move

Mir Amateur Radio Status:  March 24, 1998

by Miles Mann WF1F,

PMS Reset:
During the Amateur Radio Station move last week the PMS was reset back to
the factory default settings.  Unfortunately the default settings are not
compatible with normal Mir PMS operations.
This resulted in additional temporary down time for the PMS.  Both the
MIREX and MAREX-NA teams began to work on the problem.  This is actually
the third time we have had this problem and it is easy to fix.  The only
real problem is it does require the Mir to Manually change three parameters
in the PMS, before the System Operators can then log-in and remotely fix
the rest of the parameters.

After a Reset, the TNC Squelch control parameter defaults to the Internal
or Squelch must be Set correct-value.  Since the squelch on the Mir Kenwood
TM-733 is normally OFF or Wide-open, this caused the Kantronics KPC-9612,
to think the channel was constantly busy (the volume is usually all the way
OFF).

I sent a fax off to my contact (Sergej) in Energia, with a detailed list of
instructions on which parameters needed to be changed by the Mir crew.
Sergej then contacted the Mir crew and told them to, put the TNC back to
the normal settings.  When I developed the Mir Upgrade project a few years
back, I made sure the Mir crew got a full copy of the TNC manual.  In the
manual I marked in big RED letters the Mir settings which are different
than the factory defaults.  The Mir crew just compared the manual to the
TNC settings and make them match.
After the Mir crew made the basic setting changes, the MIREX team then took
over the finished making the final settings.  The settings can be changed
remotely by the System Operators, but only after the first three key
settings are corrected.
Thanks to everyone for a quick job well done.

RS-19 Ready for Launch
RS-19 is another in the line of successful mini sputnik type satellites.

Sputnik RS-19 is on its way to Balkanor to be installed in the next
Progress cargo ship.
The tentative date for the Progress launch is April 2,1999.
I do not have a confirmed date for the hand launching of the RS-19 sputnik
from Mir at this time.

The new Sputnik can be heard on 145.812/815 (Adjust for Doppler).  Listen
closely and you will hear the up to 10 messages, repeated in multiple
different languages.
I was informed that each message will be 7 seconds long, with a 7 second
pause.
There is the ability to change the message every 24 hours.

Anyone with a simple 2-meter receiver or scanner should be able to hear the
voice recordings
being played by Sputnik.

Listening for Sputnik:
Sputnik is operating close to the frequency 145.815.
Of course the frequency will appear to drift due to normal Doppler effects.

Because of Doppler shift, the signal may appear anywhere between 145.811 -
145.818
(I rounded a little).  When Sputnik first comes in range for its 10 minute
pass, the initial frequency plus
Doppler will be approximately 145.818 (145.815 TX freq., plus 3.5k Doppler
shift).
When Sputnik is directly over head, the frequency will be approximately
145.815
Then as Sputnik passes away and nears the horizon, the frequency will be
approximately 145.812 (145.815, minus Doppler 3.5k).
If you have an FM receiver which can tune only in 5k Channels, try to
listen for Sputnik on 145.820 at the beginning of the pass, then step down
to 145.815 and 145.810 towards the end of the pass. Sputnik can be heard
with most receivers, FM, CW or SSB.

For more information about this project, please check out the Amsat-France
Web page and
follow the links to the Sputnik
http://www.ccr.jussieu.fr/physio/f6bvp/

The 200 mw beacon can be heard in either FM, CW or SSB modes.
Give it a try and if you hear the Beep Beep Beep of the Sputnik
satellite, you can send away for a special Short Wave Listener SQL card.

Reminder, RS-19 has not been launched at this time.

Please use one of the following QSL managers and follow the directions for
that Manager.

This address is for the SWL cards for the Sputnik RS-19 Amsat-France
project.

AMSAT-F
QSL manager RS18
14 bis rue des Gourlis
92 500 Rueil-Malmaison
 France

Send an self address envelope and 1 IRC.
The size should be at least 10.5 x 15 cm.

All Mir contacts, SWL, Two-way voice or Packet connections (R0MIR),
including
the new Sputnik Satellite RS-19

Envelopes should be well sealed and do not include cash.
Send a SAE (Self Addressed Envelope ) and one or two IRC coupons
(which can be purchased at major US post offices).
Do not make any notes on the out side of the envelope with Amateur Radio
Call signs visible.

QSL Information for SWL (Short Wave Listener)
Sergej Samburov
PO Box 73
Korolev-10 City
Moscow Area, 141070, Russia

For Two-way contacts with Mir ONLY.  Just for the call sign R0MIR and
R0MIR-1
No SWL (Short Wave Listener) cards will be issued at this address.

Dr. Dave Larsen - N6CO/K6MIR
 PO Box 311
 Pine Grove, California
 95665
 USA

Please include a SASE (Business Size Envelope) and one IRC > for
international.
If you are sending a IRC , please make sure it is dated 1998 , as my post
office will not accept IRC dated over 1 yr. old.
Note: Dave Larsen MIREX / N6CO is not handling SWL cards for Sputnik,
please use the other addresses

*****************

Mir's Random Radio Schedule:

The Mir crew is in the process of moving the Personal Message System (PMS)
and the MAREX-NA SSTV Amateur Radio equipment from the Priroda Module to
the Mir-Core or Base-Block module.
This move will give the crew better access to the Amateur Radio equipment.
And it will give us access to the Mir-Core Antenna.  The Mir-Core antenna
is a Larsen-Dual band mobile antenna, mounted out side of Mir.  The dual
band antenna will give us access to 2-meters and 70 cm.
In the Priroda module, we only had access to the 2-meter antenna.  The
Priroda Module 2-meter access limitations and the power supply limitations
caused a little confusion to the a few hams, who did not understand the
hardware limitations of the project.  I still expect all operations, SSTV
and Packet to stay on 145.985 FM simplex, until we are able to run both
projects simultaneously.  Since we only have enough power to run one
project at a time, there is no
reason to use the 70cm band at this time.

The Mir Core module is where the crew spends most of their time, this means
there will be more opportunity to see and hear the Mir crew from the new
location.
During the move, we can expect some down time for the Amateur Radio
Station.

New Mir Crew Members:
The current crew consists of:

Current Crew
SOYUZ TM-29 arrived at Mir on February 20, 1999.  Mir Soyuz TM-29 crew
consisted of French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere, Viktor Afanasyev  and
Slovakian Cosmonaut Ivan Bella
On February 28, some of the crew returned to earth, they were:
Slovak Ivan Bella and Gennadiy Paldalko.
Gennadiys mission lasted approximately 6 months (August 16 1998 – February
28 1999)

The remaining crew consists of:

The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere
Cosmonaut Viktor Afanasyev
Cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev.  Sergei mission began August 16, and is expected
to last a total of 9-11 months.

This will make the Mir crew 27 a three man crew. Energia informed me that
the French Cosmonaut Jean-Pierre did receive training on the MAREX-NA SSTV
project, and he has already sent a few SSTV images of him self and the rest
of the Mir crew.

Current Schedule for Packet PMS and SSTV:
No activity last weekend due to the hardware move.

The crew will do their best to keep the SSTV system active on weekends and
packet PMS operational on weekdays.

Tracking Mir

The best way to track satellites is to get access to a good satellite
tracking program.
There are numerous programs on the market, both for sale and share ware.

The best place for current satellite position date (Kep’) data is at the
CelesTrak web page http://celestrak.com/

Copyright 1999 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers),
Usenet, and WorldWideWeb.  It may not be reproduced for profit including,
but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without
prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station
Mir
are considered public domain and may be freely distributed, without prior
permission.

Miles WF1F