Re: AO-27 and MIR on an HT?

Jose Mihotek wrote:

> Daniel:
>
> last I tried ao-27 I used my  ADI Communications AT-600 handheld dual bander
> along with my Arrow Antenna handheld dual bander yagy with a built in
> duplexer in the handle and a 2 foot rg-58 coax between the radio and the
> duplexer/antenna. I had full quieting and I even had a QSO with a guy in
> Mexico city. I live in Florida. Ao-27 is active in the mornings during sun
> light. you have to adjust for doppler and polarization. Try tunning 5kHz
> higher or the smallest resolution your radio lets you ( 10kHz, etc..) when
> the bird is climbing in the sky just over the horizon. .then when you hear
> it distorting or breaking up tune lower to the exact freq. (zero doppler)
> then as it goes down in the sky tune lower another 5/10 kHz. Also, rotate
> your antenna for best reception. 5 Watts is all you need.
>
> Same for MIR.
>
> good luck
>
> Jose

It may also be worth noting that Doppler on 440 is about 3 times what it
on 146 MHz. For Mir, I have fair luck going 5 above at AOS, zero at
closest, and then -5 after closest. I have no experience what it is like
at 440, but it must be a little more.. And, yes, ALWAYS leave the
squelch open.

--
Best regards, Jim Romelfanger, K9ZZ

WISCONSIN QSO PARTY RESULTS will be at
http://www.execpc.com/WARAC when they are ready.
GET A VIRUS ALERT? Before you pass it on, please point to
http://www.av.ibm.com/BreakingNews/HypeAlert/
LIKE CIRCUS? CHECK OUT http://www.circusparade.com