RE: AO-27 and MIR on an HT?

Hello,

To add my two cents worth, I have only been able to hear AO-27 with my
HT and a 7 element yagi. When it comes over the north pole, the rcvd
signal is usually (in my exp. always) vertically polarized. When it
starts going away from me it flipps to horizontal polarization. Even
still, I must run un-squelched to hear the signal.

 As far as listening to MIR, I have had some (but not much) success
listening with an HT and its flex-type antenna.

                   -- Mike  WB8ERJ

"Walls, Jim R" <WALLSJR@sce.com> wrote:

> Daniel said:
>
> > What am I doing wrong?  I read multiple articles that a HT will
do.  To
> > listen to UHF frequencies, I'm using a FT-470 with a 10" dual band
rubber
> > ducky, the squelch wide open yet.  To listen to MIR, I'm using an
IC260A
> > multimode in FM mode with a 5/8 telescopic antenna.
>
> Based on my EXTREMELY limited experience, you are not going to hear
> much if anything that way.  My only demonstration of using a handheld
> on AO-27 was at the ARRL SouthWest Division convention in San Diego
> last fall.  A dual band handheld was used with a handheld dual band
yagi.
> If I remember right, the UHF yagi had around 6 elements (give or
take 1)
> and the received signal was no where's near full quieting.  It was
quite
> usable however.  I have personally tried to monitor AO-27 both at
home and
> at work on an AEA Isopole, a dual band vertical, and also a discone
antenna.
> At best, I could detect part of a word now and then, and more
commonly the
> signal was a barely detectable change in the background noise - in
no case
> was the signal usable.  I determined that I need to get my planned
antennas
> operational and then life should be better!

> Jim Walls - K6CCC
> wallsjr@sce.com
> Mobile Radio Operations
> Southern California Edison Co.