RE: [amsat-bb] Laser Satellite Comms

> Then add the difficulty of pointing the transmitter
> to the equation and you'll see why I predict failure.

I strongly concur.  Several years ago I and some friends
acquired a "HIGH-POWER" laser.  Output in the order of
about 15 watts.  It was removed from service because it
had become unstable, and was no longer safe for medical
use.  It requires water-cooling, and a considerable
power supply.

I could tell you some funny stories, but I digress.

On Friday night, sitting in a bar and sucking down
suds, we (all hams) got to wondering.  Didn't NASA
leave some corner-cube reflectors up on the moon.

Hey, this is the group that took my 2 watt 10 GHz
radar gun and tried to set off the burglar alarm in
the local K-mart (10.525 motion sensors) at 2am.
Well the bar closed and we had to do something till
the sun came up.  Again, I digress.

Well, the more beer that got recycled, (you don't buy
beer, just rent it and recycle it) the better this
idea got.  Fortunately, we were not able to transport
everything out into the desert without alot of planning.

The next morning, or was it afternoon, well... anyway,
we sat down and contacted an old army buddy at the
university of Arizona at Tucson.  By golly, he had
just the data we were looking for.  Yes, 15 watts
was more than enough power, 10 times enough in fact.
Then the question, "How ya gonna aim that thing?"

Well, after a little more thought, we dropped the
idea.  Probably would have cut the wing off any
airliner that flew through the beam anyway.

You say we could see this here ball?  Hmmmm...
maybe if we remove the barrel of Jake's 7mm Remington,
mount the laser tube there, and put a good rifle
scope on top....  I can't wait till Friday night
so I can bring this up.

I'll keep Y'all posted.   BTW, the above story really
is true.  Jake isn't his real name, but the tube is
still in his garage.  I had to protect him, even if
we aren't innocent.

Vy73,  Mike.  KD9KC.  MARS: AAV6EV
kd9kc@whc.net    -    kd9kc@amsat.org
Home  page:   http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/
El Paso, where the sun spends the winter.