MIR SSTV is Stuck Feb 23, 1999

Feb 23, 1200 utc

Hello everyone:

The MAREX-NA SSTV system on Mir is currently Stuck.
It is sending the same corrupt image over and over again.  This is not a
serious problem.
A simple power-cycle should reset the buffer and the SSTV system will start
again.

We had this same problem once before in December 98.
Today I am planning our we weekly telecon with MAREX-Russian and we will
discuss the minor problem.
We think the problem is caused by solar radiation, upsetting the CPU on the
analog codec.
The codec is shielded inside an aluminum box, and on the bottom of the box
where the CPU is located, there
are two sheets of aluminum.  If it is a Radiation problem, we will need to
take what we have learned and
try to build a better system for ISS.
We have reviewed other vendors SSTV Codecs and some of them are housed in
all plastic boxes.  These
plastic SSTV Codecs may be more susceptible to Radiation problems than ones
housed in sold aluminum
boxes.    More investigation is required.

(anyone know what last nighths solar forcast was?)

73 Miles WF1F MAREX-NA