Mir ARS Status Feb 22, 1999, Good SSTV shots

Mir Amateur Radio Status:  Feb. 22, 1999

by Miles Mann WF1F,

Current Schedule for Packet PMS and SSTV:
The crew finally had some free time to pose for pictures today (Feb 22 1300
utc).
Over the weekend most of the images were Out of Focus and too much light.
On late Sunday evening the crew re-aimed the camera and adjusted the focus.
WAØZBL, Hayes from KS sent me a great shot of Baha California, specifically
a close-up of Bahia San Juanico
are, with good details.  You can even make out the islands, such as Isla
Carmen
and several other islands.
On Monday the crew got in front of the camera and posed for a few pictures,
Live.
Keep you SSTV system running, you never know what they will send next.

The crew will be keeping both projects on 145.985 FM Simplex for the next
few months.
We do not have access to the 70cm antenna at this time and we do not have
enough
Power supplies to run both projects simultaneously.

Only one project will be active at a time, either the Packet PMS or the
SSTV.
The crew will, as time permits, turn on one system then after a period of
time, switch
over to the other system.    These changes are only made during the crew?s
free time.
It is not possible to develop an exact schedule announcing the times for
each project.
The people wanting to use Packet and SSTV will just need to be a little
understanding
and patient.
And I know the world appreciates all of the hard work they have invested.

SSTV Receiving Software:
There are several SSTV software and hardware decoders on the market.  Some
you can buy
while others are shareware.
If you are just starting, you may want to try a software version first.
I am currently using Pasokon TV Lite for my DOS computer and W95SSTV with
my Win95
system.  Both systems are easy to use and produce good results.

Web pages, SSTV software pages.

John Langner , Pasokcon and others
http://www.ultranet.com/~sstv

W95SSTV
http://www.siliconpixels.com/W95SSTV/w95dload.htm

Mir Crew Members:
The current crew consists of:

Current Crew
SOYUZ TM-28 arrived at Mir on August 16. Mir Soyuz TM-28 crew consisted of
Sergei Avdeyev, Gennadiy Padalko.
The new crew will be arriving the Week of February 20-25 , the are:
 Viktor AFANASYEV, with French astronaut Jean-Pierre Heignere and Slovak
Ivan Bella.

When the 10 day crew change is over, Gennadiy Paldalko and Ivan Bella be
returning to earth.  The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere and Viktor
Afanasyev  will stay on Mir with Sergei Avdeyev.  This will make the Mir
crew 27 a three man crew.  Sergei Avdeyev will stay on board Mir for an
extra three months, bringing his mission time up to approximately 9 months
in space continuously.  Jean-Pierre mission will last approximately 3
months.
Energia informed me that the French Cosmonaut Jean-Pierre did receive
training on the MAREX-NA SSTV project, and is planning on using it during
this Mission.

Web Page information:
The new MAREX-NA SSTV web is under construction but is now ON line
check it out.

www.marex-na.org

Tracking Mir

The best way to track satellites is to get access to a good satellite
tracking program.
There are numerous programs on the market, both for sale and share ware.

The best place for current satellite position date (Kep?) data is at the
CelesTrak web page http://celestrak.com/

Copyright 1998 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers),
Usenet, and WorldWideWeb.  It may not be reproduced for profit including,
but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without
prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space Station
Mir
are considered public domain and may be freely distributed, without prior
permission.

Miles WF1F