Mir ARS Status Feb 20, 1999, unproto

Mir Amateur Radio Status:  Feb 20, 1999

by Miles Mann WF1F,

Current Schedule for Packet PMS and SSTV:
Last weekend the crew turned on the SSTV for three days, Sat, Sun and
Monday.  The crew did not have much time for posing in front of the
cameras.  The camera was just aimed out the Priroda window at the Spectkter
module.  The images were a little out of focus.

The crew will be keeping both projects on 145.985 FM Simplex for the next
few months.
We do not have access to the 70cm antenna at this time and we do not have
enough
Power supplies to run both projects simultaneously.

Only one project will be active at a time, either the Packet PMS or the
SSTV.
The crew will, as time permits, turn on one system then after a period of
time, switch
over to the other system.    These changes are only made during the crew’s
free time.
It is not possible to develop an exact schedule announcing the times for
each project.
The people wanting to use Packet and SSTV will just need to be a little
understanding
and patient.
And I know the world appreciates all of the hard work they have invested.

SSTV Receiving Software:
There are several SSTV software and hardware decoders on the market.  Some
you can buy
while others are shareware.
If you are just starting, you may want to try a software version first.
I am currently using Pasokon TV Lite for my DOS computer and W95SSTV with
my Win95
system.  Both systems are easy to use and produce good results.

Web pages, SSTV software pages.

John Langner , Pasokcon and others
http://www.ultranet.com/~sstv

W95SSTV
http://www.siliconpixels.com/W95SSTV/w95dload.htm

Mir School Schedules:
MAREX-NA is still running School schedules with the Russian Space Station
Mir.  The next batch of school schedules have been submitted to Energia for
their review.  Occasionally when the  Mir crews have free time, Energia
allows us to set up these pre-arranged school schedules.  Over the next 4
months we expect to run school schedules in the USA, Canada and Australia.
MAREX-NA currently has a back log of schools waiting for Mir schedules.  We
are not currently looking for  any more schools in the USA at this time.
Note: During school schedules days, the SSTV system will usually be active.
This allows the Mir crew to see the children they are talking with.

Mir Crew Members:
The current crew consists of:

Current Crew
SOYUZ TM-28 arrived at Mir on August 16. Mir Soyuz TM-28 crew consisted of
Sergei Avdeyev, Gennadiy Padalko.
The new crew will be arriving the Week of February 20-25 , the are:
 Viktor AFANASYEV, with French astronaut Jean-Pierre Heignere and Slovak
Ivan Bella.

When the 10 day crew change is over, Gennadiy Paldalko and Ivan Bella be
returning to earth.  The French cosmonaut Jean-Pierre Heignere and Viktor
Afanasyev  will stay on Mir with Sergei Avdeyev.  This will make the Mir
crew 27 a three man crew.  Sergei Avdeyev will stay on board Mir for an
extra three months, bringing his mission time up to approximately 9 months
in space continuously.  Jean-Pierre mission will last approximately 3
months.
Energia informed me that the French Cosmonaut Jean-Pierre did receive
training on the MAREX-NA SSTV project, and is planning on using it during
this Mission.

Web Page information:
The new MAREX-NA SSTV web is under construction but is now ON line
check it out.

www.marex-na.org

PMS Unproto Tips:
Mir and Packet UnProto mode

The Mir PMS (Personal Mail System) also supports the Digital repeating mode
called  UnProto.  I am not going to get into too much detail about UnProto,
for  more  information  check  Amateur  radio hand books and back issues of
Amateur  Radio  magazine.   Basically  UnProto  is  a way of sending packet
messages  without requiring an acknowledgment from the other station.  This
mode  is  similar to RTTY in that, you can have several stations in one big
QSO  at the same time.  Set your UnProto command in your TNC, on my KAM the
syntax  is  "U  CQ V R0MIR".  Then switch to Converse mode (enter K at cmd:
prompt).   Now everything you type will be transmitted in UnProto Mode.  If
the  Mir station hears your transmission, the Mir PMS Digi will rebroadcast
your  information  with  a  range  of over a 1000 miles.   Below is a short
UnProto between a station in Massachusetts and Alabama, using the Mir Digi.
The stations were arranging to meet on Oscar 13 when the Mir pass was over.