Re: MIR picture used in news story

Hi Peter:

The picture in the news story was taken at 15:25 utc time January 1, 1999,
while Mir was in range of Boston Mass, USA.
I was talking to Sergei Avdeyev and Gennady on the Mir Space Station during
the new years day celebration.
Sergej had told me earlier to expect a bunch of SSTV images on January 1st.
As Mir approached Boston, I was ready with my station and called Mir just
as they came in range.
 (Last summer I went to Moscow to train Sergei and Gennady on how to use
the MAREX-NA SSTV system 60 days before they were launched into space).
I had heard a new story that the Mir crew was given by Energia permission
to have a shot of Vodka to celebrate new years.
When I asked Sergej about the Vodka, He replied, No Vodka, we have Apricot
Juice and fine chocolate
bear made in Russian Factory.
Sergej and Gennady then proceeded to show me several SSTV images of the Mir
station.

As for the identity of who submitted that specific image, I am not sure.
Over a hundred SSTV stations were active
at the time when that specific shot was taken.

I invite everyone to listen an decode SSTV images from Mir on Weekends,
frequency 145.985 FM.
For details see, www.marex-na.org

Take care, Miles WF1F MAREX-NA

http://www.wndu.com/newscenter16/

                 The two cosmonauts currently aboard Mir - Sergei Avdeyev
                 and Gennady Padalka - hold up New Year's presents in a
                 Jan. 1 image transmitted via an amateur-radio link. One
gift is
                 a packet of apricot juice, the other is a bear figurine.

Peter.ELLIS@dao.defence.gov.au on 02/17/99 08:37:12 PM