MAREX-NA Update, Great news, Feb 11,1999

Mir Amateur Radio Status:  Feb 11, 1999

by Miles Mann WF1F,

Great News From Energia:
MAREX-NA was selected as one of the independent clubs chosen to develop
Amateur Radio projects for the Russian Modules of the International Space
Station.  One of the 4 Russian antenna feed-through ports in the Russian
Service Module is being reserved for a MAREX-NA project.
We are still in the process of reviewing which specific project will be
installed.
More details later.

APRS/MIR School Club Roundup
On Tuesday February 9 the SSTV system was activated instead of the PMS.
The reason this mix-up occurred is because the MAREX-Russia team at Energia
was not properly informed of the MIREX APRS experiment.  It is very
important that all experiments are properly coordinated between MAREX-NA
and MAREX-Russian/Energia with sufficient lead times for all approvals and
to inform the crew of the planned changes.  The Mir crew was Not aware of
the APRS Test.  Normally APRS is not allowed to be used on the Mir Personal
Message System, because the extra load of packets blocks the Message
traffic to the Mir crew.  Message Mail traffic to the Mir crew always has
First priority.  However when properly planed in advance, other tests can
sometimes be accommodated.

Current Schedule for Packet PMS and SSTV:
The Mir crew did not have time to switch on the SSTV last weekend, so they
turned on the system for a few hours on Tuesday February 9.

The crew will be keeping both projects on 145.985 FM Simplex for the next
few months.
We do not have access to the 70cm antenna at this time and we do not have
enough
Power supplies to run both projects simultaneously.

Only one project will be active at a time, either the Packet PMS or the
SSTV.
The crew will, as time permits, turn on one system then after a period of
time, switch
over to the other system.    These changes are only made during the crew

’s
free time.
It is not possible to develop an exact schedule announcing the times for
each project.
The people wanting to use Packet and SSTV will just need to be a little
understanding
and patient.
And I know the world appreciates all of the hard work they have invested.

SSTV Receiving Software:
There are several SSTV software and hardware decoders on the market.  Some
you can buy
while others are shareware.
If you are just starting, you may want to try a software version first.
I am currently using Pasokon TV Lite for my DOS computer and W95SSTV with
my Win95
system.  Both systems are easy to use and produce good results.

Web pages, SSTV software pages.

John Langner , Pasokcon and others
http://www.ultranet.com/~sstv

W95SSTV
http://www.siliconpixels.com/W95SSTV/w95dload.htm

Mir School Schedules:
MAREX-NA is still running School schedules with the Russian Space Station
Mir.  The next batch of school schedules have been submitted to Energia for
their review.  Occasionally when the  Mir crews have free time, Energia
allows us to set up these pre-arranged school schedules.  Over the next 4
months we expect to run school schedules in the USA, Canada and Australia.
MAREX-NA currently has a back log of schools waiting for Mir schedules.  We
are not currently looking for  any more schools in the USA at this time.
Note: During school schedules days, the SSTV system will usually be active.
This allows the Mir crew to see the children they are talking with.

Third-Party-Traffic limitations:
Some countries have radio laws barring Third-Party-Traffic via Amateur
Radio, which means, you can talk unless you have a license, Even if there
is a licensed person with you.  That’s why most of the MAREX-NA schools
schedules are with countries which have flexible Third-Party-Traffic laws.
In many countries, all it takes to get a Temporary Third-Party-Traffic
waiver is just a letter or short phone call to the national radio
authority.  In the USA it is a lot more difficult.  Five (5) years ago one
of the big USA radio clubs started the process of getting
Third-Part-Traffic waivers for Mir.  They were partially successful and
were able to get a waiver for the Americans on Mir, but not for the Russian
crew members of Mir.  This partial Third-Party-Traffic agreement actually
made things  worse.

Copy of Memo from 1997