beaconing on KPC-3

I have an older KPC-3, ver 5.1, that I am trying to set up to beacon for
the MIR/APRS School Club Roundup.  My problem is that when my TNC
beacons, it replaces my grid square that I set in my Unproto path with
"BEACON".  What should be: N3TOY>DM26IE,R0MIR.... turns out to be:
N3TOY>BEACON,R0MIR....  According to the book, this is what is supposed
to happen and I am assuming that they changed this property of the
Beacon command with newer versions that are APRS ready.  However, does
anyone know of a work-around for this problem?

Jamie

--
Please note that I will be changing my ISP soon and without notice.
I am routing all my email through QSL.NET so as not to disrupt service