Fwd: Antenna for Mir SSTV RX

Hello,

I had the same questions, and I ran a crude test. I switched between a 5/8
wave vertical and a 1/4 wave vertical while MIR went through a rather high
pass (about 50 deg. max. elevation). As one would might guess, the 5/8 wave
vertical seemed to have a better signal at the beginning/end of the pass,
and the 1/4  wave vertical seemed to do better in the middle of the pass. I
have also tried my 11 ele. yagi -- rather tough manually!

IMHO: I'm sticking with the 1/4 wave vertical...

     -- Mike   WB8ERJ

> From: "James R. Gorr" <n3toy@qsl.net>
> Subject: [sarex] Antenna for Mir SSTV RX
> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:43:26 -0800
>
> Just curious what antennas people are using to get SSTV pics?  I have a
> Comet GP-3 and am not having very good luck.  I always have noise w/ my
> signal and never can get a good pic.  Would a standard 1/4 wave work
> better, or do I need to go to something like an "egg-beater"?  I realize
> verticals are not the best choice for satellite work, but it's what I
> got.  Gee, I'd really hate to have to buy something new...  You never
> know where it might end!  I have used the Comet to connect with the MIR
> PMS before, but now it isn't working for SSTV.
>

> Jamie

Check out Mike's web page:

http://www.qsl.net/wb8erj