Re: SAFEX RELEASE 30 DEC 1998

Hey! Wake up babies!

This continuous crap about who did/didn't do what is totally irrelevant to
most of us on this reflector. We aren't interested in who has what
reputation.

What IS relevant is what is happening up in space on the platforms which are
or will be there.

What needs to happen is for all the separate little babies pre-schools with
their prima-donnas to be disbanded and a single, INTERNATIONAL committee to
be set up so that ALL interests can be discussed and the respective
decisions taken. Then and only then should something be put on this or any
other medium.

Out here in the real world, we only want to know the results, not the stupid
petty squabbles which go on behind the scenes. that's where they should all
stay and not be aired for all to see and laugh at.

You are ALL becoming the laughing stock of the Amateur community!  GROW UP
Idiots!!!

73....Eric VK2KUR

SAFEX release 30 DEC 1998

ABSTRACT:

>From Mr. Miles Mann (WF1F) in the past months informations were distributed
by e-mail which cannot be accepted this way. In the mail from Dec. 29, 98
statements had been made which do not reflect the truth and offend and
discriminate the German SAFEX-team. In the following we prepared a response
to his mail, but in the beginning we introduce the SAFEX-team and the
realized technical project SAFEX II. We see our future work in the context
of the international ARISS-team (Amateur Radio International Space Station)
where we refer to in the end of this mail.

SAFEX-INTRODUCTION:

SAFEX (Satellite Amateur Funk EXperiment) exists since 1983 and focuses its
main activities in the construction of technical equipment for manned space
flights and to organize corresponding activities or projects, i.e. school
contacts, ham radio services etc. The SAFEX-team is located in
Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany, at the place of the German Aerospace Center
(DLR), where also the future control station for the European ISS module is
located ­ the GSOC (German Space Operations Center). The team has flown some
equipment on the US shuttles D1 and D2 missions and also on the MIR (1992
and 1996).

For further information about our group and some technical details see our
Web-page at http://www.op.dlr.de/~df0vr/home.htm

(Use German version which contains partly English text, the English version
is under construction. The home page location might also change soon, but
you will be informed).

The SAFEX II-PROJECT:

SAFEX II (a 70 cm repeater on-board the Russian station MIR, i.e. on the
PRIRODA module, see link above) is a bilateral Russian-German project. The
SAFEX II repeater could be operational for all hams world-wide if the crew
on-board MIR would use it corresponding to our rules. What in detail had
been changed or modified in space cannot be verified by us. In
correspondence to the contract the Russian site is obliged to inform the
German site about any modifications and the overall operation of the
equipment. This especially concerns the task when parts of the SAFEX II
repeater are applied for other activities (antenna, power supply). This,
unfortunately, never happened !!

That the SAFEX II repeater works well - if operated under suitable and well
defined conditions ­ as has been shown with the experience received by
American and German astronauts . This concerns also several add-on devices.
Other add-on devices as 9k6 packet and digital picture transmission (digital
SSTV !!!) could not be turned on, because necessary test slots were never
given by the Russian site.

You all know how difficult it is to work for and with our Russian friends
under the present conditions in Russia. We and all of you have to consider
and accept this if we want to establish a collaboration with the Russian
site. But it was never a reason for us to give up.

In a minimum of two cases parts of the SAFEX II repeater were used for other
activities, which could lead to a disturbance of the SAFEX-system.

1. After the fault of the Russian ham radio equipment in the core module
(antenna and power supply) the 2 meter equipment including the PMS was
connected to the SAFEX II device in the Priroda module. The American site
(SAREX & MIREX) was given the clearance for the use of the SAFEX antenna.
Because in the SAFEX repeater technical devices for external 2 meter
operation were included (2 m - 70 cm diplexer), this should not have caused
any problems. Another point is the internal SAFEX II power supply. The
existing connector is prepared for use with a laptop, but an operation with
the mobile transceiver Kenwood TM733 plus PMS would cause an overload.

This stimulated us to develop a new power supply for the Russian 2 meter ham
station in a very short time without having any special contract and extra
money. This is the reason why the spare power supply has not been sent to
Russia but held by us. Otherwise it would have been used ­ without our
knowledge ­ for the SSTV equipment and could not have been considered as a
spare for the space-based one. A short-term delivery of the spare device to
Russia is possible for application instead of the existing space power
supply, but not for other experiments. For this additional power supplies
would have to be constructed, what is more expensive for us due to the lack
of non-existing sponsors and other additional expenses we did not have with
the first two devices.

ONLY with this power supply ALL the 2 meter ham radio operations onboard MIR
could be successfully performed over the past two years. Unfortunately,
after the installation of the new power supply the Russian site never tried
to reactivate the SAFEX II equipment again.

2. We cannot say which parts of the SAFEX II equipment had been used during
the SSTV experiments. The experiments were made in the Priroda module where
possibly no other power for that exists, and this brought us to the
assumption that MAREX-NA used other parts of SAFEX II.

ALL UNCOORDINATED MODIFICATIONS AT AND INSIDE THE SAFEX EQUIPMENT ARE NOT
ALLOWED IN ACCORDANCE TO THE RUSSIAN-GERMAN CONTRACT !!!

A 70 CM TRANSMISSION CAN ONLY BE REALIZED WITH A DIRECT CONNECTION INSIDE
THE SAFEX SYSTEM !!!

SAFEX-ATV

The SAFEX II project included ATV equipment (this is not a SSTV-system !!!)
for using the 1.2 GHz uplink and 2.4 GHz downlink. After the installation of
the outdoor unit we realized that due to the given wrong  mounting point a
good signal on earth can only be expected in case of a favorable geometrical
constellation. This was verified by observing the SAFEX II 70 cm signals,
because one antenna is installed near-by the ATV unit. This situation
destroyed our calculated link budget. Following from this the noise on 2.4
GHz on the earth is too strong for receiving the signals. This frequency
range is world-wide used for ISM also (microwave ovens etc.)

SOME REMARKS TO MR. MANN’S MAIL
The mail was only distributed to Joerg, DL3LUM of the SAFEX group, bat not
to its head Thomas, DL2MDE.

Mr. Mann:
The SAFEX club was responsible for getting the whole Mir amateur radio
project going in the begging back in 1989. Unfortunately the SAFEX club
had a few problems later on and were not able to complete two projects for
Energia.

SAFEX:
see above and consider the problems in / with Russia.

Mr. Mann:
The first project that SAFEX failed to complete was the Fast Scan TV
Repeater system.

SAFEX:
These words tell us about that you have completely NO understanding of the
SAFEX II project at all. The SAFEX II is a stepwise approach, where A
DIGITAL SSTV was expected to come in a later phase, but there are problems
at the Russian site ! After launching the SAFEX II repeater we were never
given a really test phase for our equipment. Thus, we were not able to
continue under these circumstances, and we handed-over the digital SSTV-part
to the Russians. The functional digital SSTV equipment has been presented to
RKK Energia in Korolev. This system is by far more better than any analog
SSTV system including the now so called MAREX-NA SSTV !!!

(We did not find the VIRUS which changed our digital SSTV software on the
laptop given to the Russians into some video game we found on this laptop 6
months later...)

Mr. Mann:
SAFEX was only able to deliver part of the TV repeater to Energia Amplifier,
Receiver Preamplifier and the antenna system). Energia installed the
delivered portion of the SAFEX project in the Pireoda module of the Space
Station Mir. The installation required a Space walk and a lot of expense on
the part of Energia. Special holes were made in the Pireoda module to
accommodate the SAFEX TV repeater. I can only assume the expense was
great on the part of Energia. When SAFEX failed to deliver the project, it
hurt the reputation of SAFEX and future Amateur Radio projects on Mir.

SAFEX:
We delivered the outdoor unit, and it is completely installed and tested on
the Priroda module. For a full completion an EVA is not necessary !!! Due to
link budget and interference problems the indoor completion was stopped.  In
a talk with the Russian representatives we explained the situation, it is
not our fault that these people had no technical understanding for that.

Thus, SAFEX did not hurt its or the upcoming ham projects reputation.

Mr. Mann:
Energia was not pleased with SAFEX’s failure to deliver.

SAFEX:
All parts useful for the project had been delivered by SAFEX, unfortunately
not all of it had ever been used by the Russian site, or see also the
problems with SAFEX-ATV described before.

Mr. Mann:
SAFEX also contracted with Energia to deliver a spare power supply for the
Kenwood TM-733 project. SAFEX did build the extra power supply, however
Thomas K, has refused to deliver the spare power supply to Energia. SAFEX
contracted to deliver the power supply to Energia and deliberately refused
to deliver the power supply. The spare supply is still sitting on a shelf
at SAFEX, collecting dust.

SAFEX:
see comments above, a contract never existed.
Mr. Mann:
Because of the embarrassment caused by SAFEX to Energia, the engineers at
Energia were unhappy with SAFEX.

SAFEX:
It is surprising that such a statement is made only by Mr. Mann, SAFEX did
never receive such from the Russian site officially.

Mr. Mann:
The SSTV project:
The SSTV project has proven to be very successful and popular with the
public. It was the intention of MAREX-NA to help spread the good fortunes
of the SSTV project between multiple clubs, including AMSAT and SAFEX.
MAREX-NA knew that Energia was unhappy with SAFEX’s performance.

SAFEX:
We pointed out several times  not to support the SSTV experiment from MIREX
and later-on from MAREX-NA, because a better system (digital SSTV) had
already been delivered for the MIR station. Our group also doesn’t want to
be overloaded with several projects. After SAFEX II our main interest is
going into coming-up ARISS-systems.

RKK Energia engineers never told us officially to be unhappy with SAFEX
II-performance.

Mr. Mann:
It was my intention to help restore the reputation of the SAFEX club by
allowing them the chance to participate in the SSTV project.

SAFEX:
We never asked to help us in any manner. In our opinion we have a quite good
reputation world-wide.

Mr. Mann:
The MAREX-NA team needed a good reliable power supply, which would
meet with Energia’s strict safety requirements. The SAFEX power supply on
Mir had proven its ability to work reliably on Mir. Even when the Mir crew
frequently over loaded the power supply, it still worked good without
damage. Energia informed me that SAFEX had a spare power supply which
SAFEX owed Energia. When MAREX-NA contacted Joerg at SAFEX, we began
the talks about the Spare power supply and the possibility of SAFEX building
an Extra power supply. Joerg informed me that SAFEX did not have any money
ship the Spare power supply from Germany to Moscow.

SAFEX:
see comments above. We are glad that our device works that good.

Mr. Mann:
SAFEX could also build an Extra power supply for approximately $1500.00 (US
currency). The funding that MAREX-NA received could be used to help SAFEX
out of a tough situation.

SAFEX:
see comments above, what tough situation ?

Mr. Mann:
MAREX-NA could help the reputation of SAFEX, by assisting with the costs of
shipping and by purchasing an Extra power supply for Energia. The engineers
at Energia always want spare parts in the city of Korolev Russia at all
times. By
working together, the MAREX-NA team would get the power supply we needed and
at the same time help the SAFEX club restore its damaged reputation.

SAFEX:
see comments above.

Mr. Mann:
Then on June 4, 1998 Frank H. Bauer, KA3HDO AMSAT V.P. for Manned Space
Programs, publicly denounced the MAREX-NA SSTV project. The SAFEX club
quickly followed suit and canceled any plans for building a power supply for
MAREX-NA or delivering the Spare power supply which SAFEX owed to Energia.

SAFEX:
This action was coordinated within the international ARISS-team, because of
other open points, i.e. frequency allocation for MAREX-NA SSTV,
collaboration problems with Mr. Mann etc.

Mr. Mann:
The actions of SAFEX in canceling the power supply project with MAREX-NA
and still refusing to deliver the Energia power supply have not helped the
reputation of SAFEX.

SAFEX:
It seems Mr. Mann likes to talk about “reputation”....

Mr. Mann:
I have reviewed Dave Larsen power supply proposal, and I must respectably
decline his offer to act as a representative for SAFEX. Because of the
slanderous e-mail published by Mr. David Larsen and MIREX, we will not be
associated with Mr. Larsen and his team. The MIREX team can not be trusted.
The MIREX team needs to
start working on their public apology to the amateur radio public and to the
MAREX-NA
sponsors.

SAFEX:
We are sure MIREX did a lot for ham radio activities on MIR over the last
years. It is very bad to offend this group in this way.

Mr. Mann:
If SAFEX is interested in restoring their reputation, they may contact me
directly.

SAFEX:
We will not, because we did not loose anything. In contrary it is time to
open the eyes to all hams world-wide and tell them about the damaging
activities of Mr. Mann. But this is a task to be solved inside the US, we
represent the German group only. We don’t want to interfere in the US-team
matters.

Memo from Dave Larsen
I have been talking with SAFEX over the last 4 days and they hve agreed to
sell MAREX the pwr supply, there are several condx in this -

1 The pwr supply will be sent to me and when cash or a cash check is in
hand then it will be sent were ever someone wants it ~ 6000 is the cost of
the pwr supply
2. Miles or anyone other than the USA ARISS group will not send eqm to
Russia for ISS.
3. E-M will ONLY come through me for any qustions etc.
4. I need a ans. back before Dec. 30th.

FUTURE ACTIVITIES

SAFEX is not willing to communicate with Mr. Mann this way any further. We
have other more important things to do. But we cannot permit to offend our
group. Each interested country has its own representatives which are
responsible for their nations ISS HAM
radio activities. Our partner in the US is the SAREX team within NASA and
all it's
assigned persons. This includes the MIREX-team also. MAREX-NA or how it ever
calls
is not part of this up to now, because Mr. Mann shows no effort to cooperate
within
the ARISS team. He takes only actions to satisfy his own ego.

Mr. Mann's actions destroy all the efforts made so far by the international
ARISS team to have HAM equipment onboard ISS. He tries to divide the
interested community. It is your task to decide whom personally you will
trust, a so called MAREX-NA team which has only be formed some times ago or
an international group called ARISS trying to establish a coordinated
equipment for ISS. Coordination means organizational, technical and
frequency which had been also a hot task over the past years. The ARISS team
tried to find compromises to help all hams world-wide to future work ISS.

If you decide to work with Mr. Mann you endanger the entire ISS Ham radio
mission. Please try to collaborate as much as possible with the ARISS team.
For sure we know that all of you have different ideas on what to realize on
ISS. You can only find a compromise. Otherwise the ISS responsible persons
at NASA, Russia etc. might decide to cut ALL Ham activities. A Mr. Mann is
far away from all these problems, he cannot be relied.

We wish you all a good NEW YEAR 1999 and hope you personally meet the right
decision to make HAM radio on ISS a reality. Only coordination can help in
this process, not several single actions.

All the best to all of you

Thomas, DL2MDE, SAFEX Project Leader, tom.kieselbach@t-online.de
Joerg, DL3LUM, SAFEX International Coordinator, jh.hahn@gmx.net

Please direct all comments to both of us !