Slow Scan images received from the Mir Space Station

Last week I had the pleasure of monitoring a number of slow scan images I
received from the Mir space station.  There were 2 Russian cosmonauts on
board using Amateur Radio SSTV equipment and the images were amazingly sharp
in detail.
I would really like to find out if anyone knows what equipment is being used
and how it got started aboard Mir?  Also, is this intended to be a permanent
If so, I can see a lot of educational benefits coming out of something like
this, especially those schools that schedule talks with the Cosmonauts.

Thanks for any information

Kevin Wind  KE4ZYI
Kevin Wind
RLN  Technical Support