Slow Scan images received from the Mir Space Station

Last week I had the pleasure of monitoring a number of slow scan images I
received from the Mir space station.  There were 2 Russian cosmonauts on
board using Amateur Radio SSTV equipment and the images were amazingly sharp
in detail.
I would really like to find out if anyone knows what equipment is being used
and how it got started aboard Mir?  Also, is this intended to be a permanent
experiment?
If so, I can see a lot of educational benefits coming out of something like
this, especially those schools that schedule talks with the Cosmonauts.

Thanks for any information

Kevin Wind  KE4ZYI
kevinwi2@attachmate.com
Kevin Wind