Re: SSTV not in violation

Well, U.S. amateur regulations (contained in 14 CFR 97) only apply to the
U.S., and we enjoy a broader allocation of 2-meter frequencies in ITU
Region 2 than the other two regions which only allow amateurs within
144-146 MHz.  Satellites and space operations have to fit within the
worldwide allocation, and since they have direct line of sight to huge
geographic areas, the frequency coordination problems are frightful, as
Miles has already said.

I agree that 435-436 MHz makes it harder to keep up with the doppler
corrections, but that's technique, which should be part of every ham's
operations.  Everything else depends on skilled operating technique -- for
this to change, we'd all have to switch to cellphones.  The Doppler
deviation on 440 is just a challenge.

As for gentlemens' rules, and speaking (I hope) as a gentleman, maybe they
don't have the force of law, but that shouldn't make them any less
important.  If the FCC or the ITU has to pass laws to govern every aspect
of our operations, then I will have to rethink my decision to join in this
hobby.

At 12:07 PM -0500 12/15/98, K. Rudolph wrote:
>Gentlemans rules are not CFRs and technically don't apply, and why
>complain about one signal being tested where it won't be ulimately used
>when the HAM bands are full of well documented PIrates and foul mouthed
>jerks who the FCC has names address and documentation of yet won't do
>anything and the HAMs refuse to self police anymore?  Is this just
>another way of the loud mouths trying to get attention?  The kind of HAMs
>who take credit for everything every one else does?  The ones who bring
>politics in and destroy clubs?  It sure is!  Aside from CW, any mode may
>be used anywhere in any HAM band for any lenght of time.  Everything else
>is just "gentlemans agreement".  The gentlemen know this and are not
>shotting their mouths off.  Technically, refering to the Code of Federal
>Regulations, there is NO violation.  Aside from this, though I cannot
>decode the images currently, and taking 2m into accuont technically, I
>hope they test it here often, and eventually pull the strings to make it
>"official".  440 is a great band, and big, but when it comes to satellite
>commuinications other than geostationary satellites, it was a poor
>choice.
>
>Kurt
>

>Kurt
>
>Amateur Radio Stations KC7VDG/KK7RC
>Monitor Station Registry KCA6ABB
>Based In Nevada, United States Of America

Bruce Bostwick
TSP Tech Staff Assistant      TSB 2.114e
Technical Engineer, KVR-TV    TSB 4.122

mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
mailto:bruce.bostwick@mail.utexas.edu
mailto:kd5biv@qsl.net