Re: SSTV in violation

I'd like to second Brendan's comments about the importance of frequency
coordination.  The point that needs to be made is that because low Earth orbit
satellites circle the globe every hour and a half (typically) coordination issues
involve the entire world.  Believe it or not, there are a lot of hams that don't
think that human space flight should use OSCAR bands (because it isn't weak
signal.)  In different parts of the world there are radically different band
plans for 2m activities.  Some of the USA 2m frequencies aren't even amateur
frequencies in some parts of the world!  A lot of volunteer effort of the hams
putting amateur radio on shuttle, Mir, and ISS is spent working on frequency
issues.  You can't just look at your local band plans and decide that it is OK to
use a frequency when you are doing satellite work.  I'll dig up the URL for the
paper that Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, did for the APRS QSY if anyone is interested.
That was a classic example of different ham user groups with different interests
having a VERY serious conflict, which was worked out amicably.  Who would have
thought that the use of APRS and Mir packet would have caused such a furor?  We
spent hundreds of volunteer hours and thousands of dollars working that issue.
That was money and effort that was sapped at a critical time for the work for
amateur radio on the ISS.  Frequency coordination is very serious.  Thanks for
reading this far.  (And if you can't tell, I'm a fanatic supporter of amateur
radio in human spaceflight! 8)

--
Will Marchant
kc6rol@amsat.org http://www.citizen.infi.net/~wmarchan/