Re: Shuttle audio??

Brian wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I would like to know if the space shuttle can be heard via radio, now when its
> in orbit??
> What freqs. are used, and is it clear audio og digital.
>
> Thanks for your help..
>
> 73 de OZ1SKY, Brian

I may well not be the best one to answer this, but I'll give it a shot.  Shuttle
to ground communication is handled by a system of TDRS ( Tracking and Data Relay)
sattelites, and is not usually beamed directly from the from the shuttle to the
ground.  The TDRS system handles communications for a number of spacecraft, so
even if you could listen in on a TDRS downlink, you would have to have some way of
finding exactly which channel the shuttle voice communication is on.

As an alternative, I would suggest trying
http://www.shuttle.nasa.gov/realdata/index.html

Here, you can watch live NASA TV, and therefore listen to all shuttle to ground
communications, right off the web.  Both Netshow and Realvideo format feeds are
available.

- David, W4HPW