Re: SAREX 15th Anniversary

Frank H. Bauer wrote:

> Amateur Space Enthusiasts:
>
> 15 years ago today, astronaut Owen Garriott, W5LFL, was launched into space
> on STS-9.  He brought along the first amateur radio station on a
> crew-tended space vehicle.  Thousands heard Owen's downlink and hundreds
> had a direct QSO with him.

It must have been something unique, to participate on the beggining of
a new age in amateur space comunications!
Unfortunatly I wasn't even an amateur at the time, but everytime I see
the video about that mission, I get thrilled by it!
I only knew about SAREX many years later (in 1992), but since then
and everytime a SAREX mission is on space, my life changes.
Suddenly my daily sked is rulled by shuttle orbits,
and I have only one thing in my mind: do a voice/packet qso
with an astrounaut! And when I'm able to do it, it's fantastic!
I can easly say SAREX already gave me one of the best moments of my
life,
not only of my amateur life, but of *ALL* my life!
To all who worked to make it possible, MANY THANK'S

>  We are currently on the threshold of installing
> a permanent amateur radio station on ISS.
>
> On behalf of the SAREX Working Group and as a US Delegate to the Amateur
> Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) program, I look forward
> the continued cooperation of all the international partners that comprise
> ARISS as we jointly forge a new, exciting future for amateur radio in space.

I can't wait for that day :) Meanwhile may I propose something:
a (simple) trophy, to the first station who make a voice qso with ISS.
The prize will be a bottle of Oport Wine, 1985 year (it's the best
VINTAGE year close to 1st SAREX mission date), and will be given by me.
In fact I already bought it, so I only need the lucky one adress to send
it!
Good luck everybody!

CONGRATULATIONS to all SAREX team,
and please keep on doing the outstanding job you've done so far!

73 F.Costa, CT1EAT