Re: Spoutnik 41 QSL, Verification

>ps, Sputnik RS-17 last  November had over 700 SWL cards sent out. >Lets try
for more for this bird RS-18.

Miles and others,

RS-17 may have had that many cards sent but they were not all replied, for
sure.

I sent 3 cards, one each for AP2NK & myself and a letter from my son's high
school class duly signed by their class teacher and verified by me (I
supplied a scanner and the AOS time) that they heard RS-17 as part of a
science project . Being only 14 the kids were all excited about how they
were going to get a certificate which they would present to their principal,
get a mention in the newsletter etc. etc.

I enclosed 3 SAE's plus 4 IRC's to cover postage for 3 cards. What I got
back in my envelope was a card for AP2NK, nobody else. Since then I have
sent no less than 5 emails to the head of the project FR5CO explaining the
situation and asking that at least the kids' card/certificate be sent,
without so much as the courtesy of a reply. I offered to send another SAE
plus postage, whatever was needed but to no avail.

It is easy to guess the kid's reaction when I told him that RS-18 was in the
air, had digitized speech and SWL cards would be sent: "Hah! Who cares!".
Having had to eat a lot of crow before his classmates I don't blame him.

No doubt AMSAT France will do a better job of QSL-ing but for one high
school class their initiation to satellite listening/ham radio has been
disappointing to say the least.

73/Tariq.