Objet : [sarex] Spoutnik 41 QSL, Verification
Auteur :
/DDV=Miles_Mann@pictel.com/DDT=HPMEXT1/S=Miles.
Mann/OU=BSFX1/O=ALCATEL/P=ALCANET
/A=ATLAS/C=FR/ a x400
Date :    15/11/98 16:11

Quesiton from Bob:
Is a signal or verification report required to be sent in to receive a
QSL card for Spoutnik 41?

Hi Bob,
good question:

The Sputnik card is actually a SWL, Short Wave Listener card.
A SWL does not require a two-way contact or an offical log book.
It is basically an honor system.

Here is the information we would like to have on each card.

1.  Your Name and full return address.

2. Date and time you heard the satellite, in UTC time format.
The UTC time is also called Zulu or Greenwich time.
Example, in Boston Mass during November we are on Eastern Standard Time,
which
is 5 hours time difference than UTC time.  I take Boston time and add 5
hours to come up with UTC time
Boston 10:00 AM plus 5:00 = 15:00 UTC time.
When you add the adjustment to make your local time into UTC time, make
sure you also check
to see if the date changed too.
Boston 10:00 PM Sunday plus 5:00 adjustment = 03:00 UTC time on Monday.

The time information will help tell us, how long the project ran and which
parts of the world
were in range during a particular week.

3.  A signal report would be helpful but is not mandatory

4.  Station setup, Radio and antenna.
This helps tell us how simple of a station is needed to copy the signals.
some satellites require very big antenna systems, while others can be heard
on a wet-noodle.

Good luck all.

ps, Sputnik RS-17 last  November had over 700 SWL cards sent out.
Lets try for more for this bird RS-18.

Miles WF1F MAREX-NA

bob@wwa.com on 11/15/98 12:18:27 AM

Please respond to bob@wwa.com