Re: Shuttle Keps

At 07:02 AM 11/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi, James:
>
>I believe that:
>
>"If the shuttle elements are more than 12 hours old, they should be updated."
>
> If this is true and if you received keplerian elements now,
>they would be more than 12 hours old on December 6th.
>
>Regards, Chuck

Also, if you notice, the preliminary elements are only approximate -- they
have to be revised after launch once they have real parameters for the SRB,
SSME, and OMS burns.  They usually have to do quite a bit of orbital
maneuvering during the mission -- I typically get 4-5 orbit updates a day,
almost one per rev.

Bruce Bostwick                 KD5BIV                   Austin, TX
                   mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
                       mailto:kd5biv@qsl.net
                  http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~lihan/