Re: MIREX UPDATE 17 MAY 1998

Hello MIR FANS....

This is a follow-up and clarification to the phrase "to just do it".

Bill seems to understand what was ment by "to just do it".
YES amateur radio is about just doing it, and that is what keeps the
hobby alive! If we didn't, everyone would be after our frequncies. (they
already
are)

There has to be some coommon sense used here!
That is why there are do's and don't to cover the shady area of common
sense.

Packet/Voice to MIR is THE EASIEST AND MOST POPULAR AMATEUR
SATELLITE! (Manned spacecraft is the "correct" term)

Therefore, over POPULATED areas, it is usually very busy. Result=QRM
Ray from South Africa using a 5 watt handheld and a "J" pole antenna
wouldn't have a very  good sucessful connect to  the mailbox- due to the
QRM
over areas like the USA , Europe and some other hot spots.
He might try 100 times "to just do it" for THE FIRST TIME. (due to QRM)
Nothing wrong with that for the first couple of times.

Right NOW there is a MIR pass, and I see the same REGULARS on MIR again
today. How would Ray compete with this? Is it a competition? Is it a
contest
to see how many times you can connect and bump others out?

If you don't beleive me, then read between the lines on this from Andy
Thomas.

*** CONNECTED to R0MIR-1 [05/24/98 22:25:52]
[KPC9612P-8.1-HM$]
75859 BYTES AVAILABLE
THERE ARE 72 MESSAGES NUMBERED 3110-3551
ENTER COMMAND:  B,J,K,L,R,S, or Help >
MSG#  ST SIZE  TO     FROM   DATE               SUBJECT
3550  B  440   R0MIR  VK5ZAI 05/25/98 07:53:29  Grape Contracts
3525  B  608   ALL    R0MIR  05/24/98 12:27:26  THANKS/BYE
3522  B  169   ALL    N6CO   05/24/98 11:03:02  2 Line MIR Keps 5-24 UTC
ENTER COMMAND:  B,J,K,L,R,S, or Help >
r 3525
MSG#3525 05/24/98 12:27:26 FROM R0MIR TO ALL
SUBJECT: THANKS/BYE
PATH: R0MIR

I AM ABOUT TO END MY TIME ON MIR AND I WANT TO THANK ALL THE HAM
OPERATORS
AROUND THE WORLD WHO HAVE SENT MESSAGES. I HOPE IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT THE

VOLUME OF TRAFFIC HAS MADE INDIVIDUAL RESPONSES IMPOSSIBLE BUT WE REALLY
ENJOY YOU MAIL. VOICE HAS BEEN VERY DIFFICULT PARTICULARLY OVER THE US
AND
EUROPE.  TOO MANY TALKING AT ONCE. IN THE SHORT TIME I HAVE LEFT I WILL
TRY
TO DO VOICE, BUT ASK THAT REPEAT CALLERS STAY OFF THE AIR SO THAT I CAN
GIVE
NEW CALLERS A CHANCE FOR A CONTACT.   BEST WISHES TO ALL OF YOU.
ANDY THOMAS
P.S. REMEMBER, FOR QSL, CONTACT DAVE LARSEN ON N6CO IN CALIFORNIA.

ENTER COMMAND:  B,J,K,L,R,S, or Help >
*** DISCONNECTED [05/24/98 22:26:39]