Re: TDRS

At 03:40 PM 5/17/98, Jim Wilcox wrote:
>Thanks to everyone who replied to my question regarding TDRS.  They have
>such a huge footprint that it would be great to be able to have a channel
>or two on there for amateur use.  Perhaps one day NASA could be persuaded
>to give us some space on them.
>
>Jim
>KE4IHI

Well, that's complicated.  I guess the best description of the TDRSS birds
would be "flying Internet routers" .. not that they use IP, of course, but
the concept is very similar.  Probably the closest that amateurs would get
to TDRSS would be as an emergency backup data/control link to an amateur
satellite.

I wouldn't pin any hopes on getting to "work" one of them, anyway -- you
have to have connections to NASA to be able to do that, and even then ..
;-)

<BGB>
           Bruce Bostwick  KD5BIV    Austin, TX  Grid EM10DH
                Technician Class Amateur Radio Operator
      ARRL / Austin ARC / Austin Repeater Org. / Travis Co. ARES
   http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~lihan/  mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
          http://www.qsl.net/~kd5biv  mailto:kd5biv@qsl.net

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home