ARISS and Mirex

Hello Joerg:

Thank you for your memo.  The Mirex web page is deigned to inform the
public they can have a choice in which
projects are on the ISS.  Public opinion should have a big part in choosing
which projects are built for ISS.
In your memo you state ?ARISS team has collected lot's of information on
their member?.
The Mirex team collects data from the Public.  The public needs to be
represented on ISS, not just the big
radio clubs such as AMSAT.
There are over 1.5 million Amateur Radio stations world wide.  All of the
current ARISS proposals are so complex that only approximately 10% of the
world wide Amateur Radio population will be able to use the proposed ARISS
projects.
How are you going to support the other 90% of the Amateur Radio population?
We all know it is not possible to build one satellite project which will
satisfy all of our needs.  Different projects are needed
to support the different skill sets on the Amateur Radio population.  A
2-meter FM mono band 1200 packet project will be accessible to over 75% of
the world wide Amateur Radio population.  If you convert that same simple
project to a split band 2-meter / 70 cm project you will reduce access back
down to around 10% world wide.
The reason is simple, its called Doppler.  A Dual band FM radio can not
compensate for Doppler.  To compensate for Doppler your radio needs to be
able to tune in 2k channel steps.  Most Dual band FM radios made today can
only step in 5k channels.  A 5k channel step is not good enough  to work a
70cm FM packet satellite.
The 2-meter PMS on Mir is the most popular Amateur Radio Satellite in the
world because it is simple (2-meter FM, Simplex).
Most of the new Amateur Radio satellite operators started with Mir.  ARISS
needs to keep one or more Simple projects to
help keep the steady flow of beginners using ARISS and other Amateur Radio
Satellites.

On the Mirex web page, I have a full page disclaimer about the project
proposals.  I do not says that Mirex runs ARISS.
However there has been a serious oversight, Mirex should be added to the
ARISS MOU as a full signing member with
all rights and privileges.

[Hi Miles,

I was wondering about your given references in the last Mir Amateur Radio
Status (see below). As far as I know all efforts for Ham Radio on the
International Space Station are made by an international team. This so
called ARISS team has collected lot's of information on their member Web
sites, for instance

http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/~ariss/ariss.html
http://www.op.dlr.de/~df0vr/home_e.htm
etc.

In the U.S. ARISS is headed by the SAREX team (ARRL, AMSAT-NA). So why
MIREX gives the impression to the international community to be the only
group beeing involved in the Space Station and gathering information ? This
was my opinion. It should be better to refer to the official Web sites
prepared by the partners. MIREX does good work for MIR, but is not
officially involved in the Space Station.

Miles, this is not the first time that I have the impression you bypass
some people to concentrate the interest on MIREX. I think this is not the
best way to make MIREX more public.

73's

Joerg, DL3LUM
SAFEX - International Coordinator]

Mirex Proposal disclaimer

 The posted Amateur Radio proposals from Mirex for Mir and the ISS are just
that, they are Proposals.
 None of the project listed here are currently scheduled for official
flight.
 These proposals were specifically developed to be used by Amateur radio
satellite beginners around the world.
 Mirex realizes, that without a steady stream of beginners experimenting
Amateur Radio satellites, that we will
 loose our Access to the Amateur Radio satellite Band.

 Benefits of the Mirex Proposals.

      1. The Mirex proposals can be built and delivered in a very short
amount of time.

      2. They are designed for Amateur radio stations who are just
beginning to try satellites for the first time.

      3. Ground stations requirements for the 2-meter mono band project
costs less than $500.00

      4. The Mirex proposals can be used a place holders, to keep
interested in ISS, while the more expensive
      and complex AMSAT super stations are being built.

      5. the Mirex proposals will help keep overall interest in Amateur
Radio Satellite operations.

 The Mirex Proposals have been submitted to MAREX, SAREX, ARRL and ARISS.
 Prototype hardware is already under development.

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home