WWW viewing of the Mirex APRS Experiment

I've already had several questions about www.aprs.net since the
announcement earlier today concerning the APRS experiment. Allow me to
give a little background about the server, and the arrangements that will
be made for the APRS experiment.

www.aprs.net is my computer, placed at the Miami Museum of Science, for
the use of APRS users around the country. All access to the computer is
free.

Besides the normal HTTP, FTP, and EMAIL services common on an internet
server, the computer also runs a program I wrote called APRServe. This
program consolidates APRS data from receivers around the country. The raw
data can be looked at by telneting into www.aprs.net (standard
port...23). It is much more interesting to run the data through an APRS
program...then stations appear on the map in their correct positions.
There are stand alone programs for Mac and Windows environments,
available from

ftp://aprs.rutgers.edu/pub/hamradio/APRS/

There is also a java version which runs in a browser. This is the program
you will see when you point your browser at www.aprs.net.

At any given time, there are a thousand or so stations visible through
APRServe, and these would overwhelm the viewing of the experiment. For
that reason, I have set up a special page to filter out all packets that
are not transmitted via R0MIR. This page will also show the posits of Mir
itself, generated by Bob Bruninga. This page provides an excellent way to
view the event...it will require no software installation or
configuration. I do recommend that it be checked on the planned computer
ahead of time, as complicated java programs sometimes have problems with
particular OS/browser combinations.

http://www.aprs.net/mirex.html

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or problems.

Steve Dimse K4HG
k4hg@tapr.org

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home