From: amsat-bb-bounces@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-bounces@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Alan P. Biddle
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:06 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: USB to serial converters

Mark,

Keyspans are good.  I have only one, really old, obscure piece of software
which won't work with them.

I got a rig programmer from RT Systems, and picked up one of the RTS-03 as
they guaranteed it would work.  It did, and with everything else I tried it.
Somewhat brand X, but it uses the FTDI chip set.

http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/othercables_template.cfm?cfid=3106444&cftoken=39
931273

Something to consider is an adapter by Parallax.  Go to WWW.PARALLAX.COM and
put in the part number 28030. It uses the FTDI chip set, and is designed to
be used as a programming controller rather than just a communications
interface, so it brings out a few more lines than does the typical USB to
serial converter.  Some rigs may need those.  With the USB A to mini USB B
cable it is about $20.  I have never found a rig or similar control function
it will not support, even when making house calls.  The only drawback it
that it doesn't really have a case.  With a little Exacto knife work you can
modify a cheap plastic RS shell to fit.

Alan
WA4SCA