Re: Elk Antenna vs Arrow Antenna (Trey Brown)

I have both. I started with the ELK due to the cheaper price as it does dual band without a duplexer. I've been very happy with it and its currently in my back yard on a rotor (its cold outside this time of year). For comparison, I bought the Arrow 5 months ago. Contrary to N3TL'd very respetable and valued comments, the Arrow does seem to do better for me, holding a signal a little lower in the sky. No leaps and bounds, but noticeable.

I'd sum it up like this:

Elk
+ cheaper all around
+ can be easily set up for permanent use
+ easier to aim due to wider beam width. Log periodic are like this.
+ smaller and very fast setup/teardown
+ one connector for dual band.
- no handle for handheld use . You have to make one, but it's extremely easy to do. And no threads for tripod.
- inconvenient if using 2 rigs. Must but a separate duplexer.

Arrow
+ copies a few degrees (just a few) lower than the Elk at my QTH
+ convenient built in handle and built in threads for tripod
- narrower beam width - have to "aim" better.
- not easily set up for permanent use. No simple mount and you wouldn't want to leave that "in handle" duplexer outside
- Can easily use for 2 rigs. Just don't use the duplexer (if so equipped) and plug into the separate UHF and VHF

Mike WB1AAT

-------------- Original message from "Trey Brown" <palintheus@gmail.com>: --------------