Re: Apollo 8 Press Kit

Peter,

My good freind and mentor, Dick - K6HIJ, set up a 3m comm dish in his
yard and used a diode mixer driven with a HP freq. synthesizer to
recover the carrier of one of the Apollos in orbit around the Moon in
the early 1970's.  You could hear the change in frequency due to
Doppler and LOS when the Apollo went around the back side of the Moon
and AOS about 20-minutes later.

We were both members of the sbms in southern california and Dick held
a record terrestrial shot on 3300-MHz from around the late 60's or
early 70's.  Reading of that accomplishment in QST lead me to the sbms in 1970.

Of course we had access to a lot of mw gear at work.

73, Ed - KL7UW