Another newbie question

Again, thanks to all who are so supportive on this BB.

I am trying out one of the ARR mast-mounted pre-amps on 432.  I just
listened to the SO50 and AO51 passes.  I swear I cannot hear any difference,
ok maybe just a bit.  But not much, not enough to make a difference.  SO50
was not audible except for a brief portion of the pass here (my antennas are
oriented horizontal at 30 degrees elevation, so that explains part of it).

Maybe the pre-amps really do their stuff on the passband birds?  If I am
wasting my time, I won't be embarrassed if somebody tells me so.  Please, I
am open to suggestions.

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
wd4elg@arrl.net