Re: AO-51 QRP...or does anyone actually read the realschedule?

At 06:11 PM 12/19/2008, Andrew Glasbrenner wrote:
> >From http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/CTNews.php:
>
>QRP user FM Repeater, V/U (All users restricted to 10 watts or less, omni or
>handheld antennas)
>Uplink: 145.880 MHz FM
>Downlink: 435.150 MHz FM
>
>I think the removal of the "graphic" schedule will force people to spend an
>extra 10 seconds to read what restrictions or intentions are in effect, and
>this problem will be solved. I'm sorry it's come to this, again, but we
>cannot sacrifice civility and order on the air for convenience.
>
>73, Drew KO4MA
>AMSAT-NA VP Operations

Thankyou, Andrew:

This ongoing "debated" meaning of QRP has devolved a bit.  QRP was
invented for HF, so its use for VHF+, satellite, and even EME needs a
bit of re-definition since the original definition does not satisfy
Amsat's purpose or intent (e.g. low power operation).

At VHF and higher frequencies where gain antennas are commonly used
the definition is best satisfied if both transmitter output and
antenna gain are specified.  This leaves less ambiguity to the
concept.  Exactly what Amsat has done!

Amsat QRP is intended to help the HT + handheld antenna
operator.  Home stations using high gain antennas with long coax runs
need to adjust their transmitter power to compensate for the change
in RF radiated power that these afford in order to be in accordance
with the spirit of QRP operation.

So follow Andrew's instruction, above for QRP satellite
operations.  If you need help figuring out how to compensate a large
home station's output to comply with QRP, just ask the experts that
are present on this list.  With some input on your stations makeup,
we can calculate what level of power you should operate at.

73, Ed - KL7UW
former NASA Microwave Engineer
40-years professional experience in RF technology