Re: AO-7 Mode A Antenna?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sebastian" <w4as@bellsouth.net>
To: "AMSAT BB" <AMSAT-BB@amsat.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 9:14 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] AO-7 Mode A Antenna?

> I have a Yaesu FT-847 which is dedicated for satellite work, so I
> don't have any HF antennas connected to it.
>
> I'd like to know from those on the group who are (were) using AO-7
> Mode A (10 meter receive), what type of antenna you are using?

Hi Sebastian, W4AS

Since OSCAR-6 I am using a homebrew 29.5 MHz turnstile i.e two
crossed dipoles each with gamma match and a delay line to get RHCP
polarization upword.
Please note that the polarization of a turnstile is linear horizontal at
low angles toward the horizon.
Both crossed dipoles are horizontally mounted over my terrace at about
1/4 wave over the flat surface of it and hopefully the iron casted into the
prestressed concrete act as a reflector.
In a separate email I have sent to you a draving and a picture of it.

> I really don't want to get a directional antenna for several reasons.
> Also, is it possible to receive Mode A without the use of an external
> preamp?

About the use of a preamplifier on 10 meters this matter has been discussed
several time on the Amsat-BB as in my letter "Re:Preamp advice, pse" sent
november 04 ,2008

> 73 de W4AS
> Sebastian

73" de