AO-51 mode L/U

I heard a few passes of AO-51 in L/U mode.  Most stations came in strong.  I tried to get into the bird using about 8 watts out into a 23cm horizontal yagi on an elevation rotor.  It was to no avail, though the bird was at 50 degree's and higher.  I am working on a CP antenna for mode L.

Can those that worked this mode give me an idea of wattage, EIRP or antenna for Mode L that you are using.  I was sure 7-10 watts would do from the Icom 910.  However, it may have been the yagi and the lack of CP.

Thanks

Greg

N3MVF