Re: iPhone APP for Sat Tracking

I wouldn't, with

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Tim Tapio <tim@timtapio.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I want everybody to know where I am at every given hour of the
> day....I'm reading 1984 again...sounds too much like big brother is
> watching...
>
> IMHO
>
> Tim T.  K4SHF

Tim:

Like you, I would set as a design requirement that the app be able to
be turned off :-)

> With all that happening on the iPhone, the actual Amateur Radio part seems a
> bit redundant.

I would prefer to see it as integrated with other services, and
therefore more useful. Besides, the iPhone app would not currently be
practical for many common uses of APRS. If you really want vehicle
tracking, for instance, you're not going to buy a phone and put it in
the car. But for occasional use an iPhone tracker would be excellent,
and increase the general utility of APRS, including that which is
available through satellites.

Perhaps others had already noted this, but for java-based phones with
the 'JSR 179' API for GPS, there is this application:
http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSME.htm It seems my family might go to a
Samsung Instinct; I think this would fit our APRS bill.

73, Bruce
VE9QRP