Re: "Notebook size computer"

Hi!

> Don't forget the Asus Eee Pc range too.
>
> Even if you get the 4G Linux version,
> it works very well with a cut down version
> of XP, with no problems at all.
>
> I have a 701 and cant fault it.

I have read about those Asus machines.  I went with the Acer Aspire
One since it was what I wanted in a new laptop (smaller than my current
old Dell Inspiron 8200 Pentium-4 laptop) and a bit more, plus it was
in a store for me to look at before buying.  The Wal-Mart stores are
apparently only stocking the versions of the Aspire One with 120Gb
or 160Gb hard drives (there are versions with 16Gb solid-state drives)
and Windows XP Home (there are also Linux versions).  Three USB
ports and a couple of card slots - one for SD cards, another one for
many types of cards including SD - have come in handy, for adding
programs or data or copying pictures from my camera's memory card.

Not having an internal CD/DVD drive is not a problem.  I have an external
DVD burner that can connect via USB, and I have already installed a
bunch of software including 5 different satellite-tracking programs.  It was
nice to sit at Vancouver airport on Tuesday and, with a small USB phone
handset and Skype, be able to make free phone calls from there before
my flight home.  The airport security in Phoenix initially thought it was a
DVD player, and asked me to remove my laptop from my laptop bag.  It
was already out, taking up only half of the plastic trays intended for loose
items going through the X-ray machines.

I want to use this laptop initially to control my two FT-817s in the
field, since
I have a pair of Yaesu CAT cables and serial-to-USB adapters for those
cables.  I also want to get a 6-cell lithium-ion battery pack for more
operating time.  I get about 2 hours' usage with the supplied 3-cell pack,
not bad for the size of the pack.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/