Re: Starting out on packet mode

Hello Ciaran,

You can use AGWpe as the soundcard modem. This site has an
excellent "How-To":

There is another application that works with AGWpe to simplify
APRS via ISS and that is UISS.

Since you already have an interface, you could be up and running
for the next pass.

For the FT-857, I set menu 80 RF-GAIN/SQL to squelch and open
the squelch for packet. I'm connected to the 6 pin data jack and
use either mode FM or PKT. If you use PKT set menu 73 to 1200bps
and adjust the audio input gain at menu 71 if needed. I turn DNR
and DBF off for packet.

For pass prediction I use Orbitron. It is a simple easy to use

Mike kc9doa