Re: Falcon 1 successful

Yes it was great to see them get into orbit with a very nominal mission.
Watching the live video coming up from Ascension Is. of the second burn was
very cool.

I have already been talking with SpaceX regarding AMSAT opportunities.
Interestingly they don't have test flights planned for the F9.  They've got
paying customers manifested right on from flight 1.  Also, since they are
focused on their COTS contract for delivering supplies to ISS, many of their
initial F9 flights will be to LEO.  They are working on GTO mission though.

When I last spoke with SpaceX they were not very interested in dealing with
secondaries.  Their business model and costs are based around launching a
single payload.  However, they don't care if that "single payload" is
actually a stack of satellites as long as someone else does the integration
and delivers them an integrated payload stack.  With that I've also been
talking with the company who brokered the multi-manifest mission for F1
flight 3, since they are smallsat friendly and already have a relationship
with SpaceX.

73,
Lee-KU4OS

PS My day job at the Eastern Range includes working both Atlas V and SpaceX
launches.