Re: FO-29

For what it's worth, guys ... any day can be QRP day.

I'll soon be applying for the AMSAT Achievement Award using confirmed contacts that were all made while I was transmitting 50 milliwatts RF out from my Yaesu VX-7R, on 2 AA Duracells - the same set of AA Duracells, actually. I ended up making 51 contacts at 50 mW RF out, and another 3 at 300 mW RF out, from that one set of Duracells.

Only 4 of the 20 contacts I'll use for the Achievement Award came on AO-51's QRP pair of 145.880 up and 435.300 down. The other 16 contacts included all three Mode-J FM LEO satellites during operation on the standard V/U pairs. It took me six days of operating to wear out the Duracells, and I ended up with 20 states, Ontario, Mexico and Venezuela worked. The highlight for me was state No. 20, thanks to Mark, WA8SME - it was my first-ever contact (any mode, any band) with W1AW. That was cool!

So any time you'd like a QRP day, just reduce the output power and go for it!

73 to all,

Tim - N3TL
AMSAT Member No. 36820
Athens, Ga. - EM84ha