Re: Polarity questions

At 07:29 PM 9/19/2008, Clint Bradford wrote:
>  >>...I have to disagree with Clint...
>
>I just must be the luckiest S.O.B.(*) working AO-51, then...During
>demonstrations in front of folks, someone in the assemblage almost
>always asks about polarization. I twist the Arrow, and we all "hear"
>no difference in its strong, clean signal.
>
>Clint, K6LCS
>909-241-7666

Dear Clint and friends,

There is no luck involved. The UHF downlinks on AO-51 are
circularly polarized. You can twist your Arrow all you want
and you will not hear any difference, nor could you measure
any because there isn't any difference!

The cross-polarization loss from a circular TX antenna to a
linear RX antenna is a constant 3 dB regardless of the
actual linear polarization angle.

If you want to demonstrate polarization mismatch loss, use AO-27
(which is linear) with an Arrow.

73,
Tony AA2TX

---