OK, what am I doing wrong with VO-52

Overhead pass, heard W9VNE calling CQ on CW, and QSO between him and a VE3.
Sounded like he was almost in the middle of the downlink passband at 145.900
+/- for Doppler, so I put my transmit signal in the middle of the uplink
passband (remembering that it is inverted, so the middle is a good place to
be).  I was transmitting on 435.250, callin several times but no response.
I also heard some USB, but decided to stay with the CW and try to make
contact.

Kinda tough since I am using one FT817 and one Arrow antenna, but I should
be able to get through.  I did work through AO-7 last weekend, so I am not
sure what I am doing wrong here.  It is my first try on VO-52, but I was
thrilled to at least hear the bird.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG