AIDC 3731 problem?

Hi all,
 I've been trying to receive the 2.4 ghz from AO-51 using an AIDC-3731 downconverter with a grill. Any time I plug in the wall wart that came with the unit, I get  S-9  noise on my receiver. The receiver is an Alinco DR-1200. I know it's not the best. But it's what I got. From the material I got with the downconverter, it needs 24 volts. Is that fixed in stone, or can I use something less for voltage?  I think I'll try a couple of 12v batteries in series. Has anyone else had the same problem? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
 73 and hope  to make some more contacts on AO-51. de Doug KA8QCU