Re: Bill Ress - N6GHz - Board Candidate - OperatingSurvey

The survey states:

>6. The use of the ACP mode will permit operation with antennas similar to the 18" dish used in direct broadcast television which would get around having antennas in CCR or antenna restricted communities.

That is incorrect, or at least misleading. The federal preemption of CC&R's for small satellite dishes only applies to dishes that are designed to receive television broadcast or transceive fixed wireless. The FCC has made it very clear that it does not apply to amateur radio antennas, no matter how much they may resemble TV antennas.

Reference: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

The best we can hope for by designing for small dish antennas that resemble DBS antennas is to slip under the radar and be mistaken for TV receivers. If it comes down to any controversy over the placement of the antenna, we would have no protection from the FCC.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org