Re: Antenna near gas lines?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Mann" <rmann@latencyzero.com>
To: "amsat Org" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:42 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Antenna near gas lines?

> Hi. Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post.
>
> I recently moved into a townhouse with a lovely homeowner's
> association. Rather than fight them putting up my antenna outside, I
> decided to just mount it inside my attic. I found a spot about 3 feet
> away from a vertical run of the gas line to the heater (also in the
> attic). My first choice as a location right next to it, 'till I
> realized it was there.
>
> Should I be concerned about creating an explosion hazard? My
> transmitter outputs a maximum of 100 W, and it's going into a Diamond
> X-30 antenna (http://www.diamond-ant.jp/ama2/eng_ama_2_2_3.asp).
>
> I wouldn't think it should be a problem, since it's metal pipe, and an
> RF energy is unlikely to go through the gas. But sadly, I don't
> remember what I learned when I took my test, if it even addressed this
> issue.
>
> Any advice would be welcome.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Rick

Hi Rick

Normally the metal pipes for gas are interrupted by insulating joints
to prevent electrolitic corrosion and the RF currents induced over it
by your antenna are flowing over the outside metal surface because
of the skin effect and they cannot penetrate inside were the gas flow.

73" de

i8CVS Domenico