Re: where all the users

At 12:16 PM 7/17/2008, John Price wrote:
>I have been reading about the need for HEO satellites and the reasons
>we don't have them. I wonder why the folks that wont the
>HEO's so bad never show up on AO-07 or VO-52. Most passes it is joe
>K3SZH and maybe two others at most on AO-07 and
>I hardly ever hear anyone on VO-52. The birds that have all the users
>are the FM sats. I would love to see a HEO built but if we
>are not going to use what we have what is the point.
>
>73's << John

Well, John, you kinda make a point, except:

VO-52 is not an HEO.  Granted it is a SSB linear transponder but does
not have quite the orbit that AO10/13/40 had.
AO-7 is higher but frankly is not really fully there running on only
solar cells.  Its like a 1970 auto running on two cylinders.

Yes, they are all that is available.  Just sort of a taste of what
could be! (and should see more use)  ...but
We'd like a bit more of a full meal.

73 Ed - KL7UW