Re: NASA's American Student Moon Orbiter...

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Trevor <m5aka@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Fun yes, but dare I say it, a waste of precious Volunteer resources.

Who said anything about volunteers?

> All lunar orbits are inherently unstable and will impact after a couple of years. The link budget requirements would not attract a mass user base.

A couple of years is about all we get out of most satellites.  The
link budgets would be challenging, but doable, especially with low
bit-rate data, like JT65 (moonbound with 50 watts on 2m).  Remember,
AMSAT-DL is shooting the the Mars orbiter!

Anyway, its probably still a pipe dream (but one can always dream).

73,
Dave
AF6KD (ex n0tgd)